Board index FRP Q & A? Strange idle when coming to a standstill

Strange idle when coming to a standstill

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

fonfe wrote:
, ive tried a brand new ICV, TPS and MAF so am a bit err stuck. so let us know if yours starting playing up again and ill let you know what we find tomorrow!

join the club... :evil:

FRP #148 User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

Ed wrote:
FRP #148 wrote:
I will look for TSBs now.............

TSB Search Results - Puma Racing
13/07/06 Unexpected loss of power steering assistance; damaged electro-hydraulic power steering pump caused by water ingress
73/2005
28/06/06 Stuck in gear / hard to shift
38/2006
24/05/06 Key cutting/ordering
72/2003
12/05/06 Intermittent working conditions of fuel fired booster heater
30/2006
27/03/06 Replacement of the accessory drive belt tensioner bracket or the idler pulley
18/2006
24/03/06 Rasping or squeaking noises in the interior
19/2006
06/02/06 Additional information for installing a new rear door latch
82/2005

28/03/02 Brake hum or judder
24/2002
28/03/02 Engine idle hang up during gear changes, engine running rough/hesitant, or engine speed undershoots during deceleration to a stop
25/2002
12/10/00 Suspension lock to lock clonk.
123/2000

I don't think those forst seven TSB's are applicable to Racing Puma! The last three definitely are though.

They are all for the racing Puma, just may once affect a few of them!
Claire

red User avatar
RPOC Regular

06/02/06 Additional information for installing a new rear door latch
82/2005

What rear door?
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

fonfe Newbie

El dude wrote:
fonfe wrote:
, ive tried a brand new ICV, TPS and MAF so am a bit err stuck. so let us know if yours starting playing up again and ill let you know what we find tomorrow!

join the club... :evil:

mine turned out to be faulty o2 sensor that was causign the problem, it logged no fault codes but when using realtime display on IDs you can see that its not doing anything not doing anything then would give a signal and the car would cut out, try unplugging it and go for a drive, it didnt miss a beat once unplugged, fitted a new one and its been mint since. (be aware your EML may come on from it being unplugged though)

ethanfitz Newbie

Firstly - one hell of a thread resurrection i know! :shock:

i seem to be getting almost this exact problem:

Subject/Concern: Engine idle hang up during gear changes, engine running rough/hesitant, or engine speed undershoots during deceleration to a stop

baring the - engine running rough/hesitant - bit...

does anyone know if there is a visual way to tell if this TPS wiring mod has been done or not?
ima bit in two minds... hoping it has been done as i wont have to get it done... and hoping it hasn't as it might solve my problem :lol:

Also is there a link to the service bulletin with the pics that anyone knows of? or a way to get it?

thanks in advance :D

Paul0008 Newbie

The clip on the TPS plug will be facing inwards if it has been done.
This is original without the mod......

ethanfitz Newbie

Ahh so... here is one of my engine bit:

now i think i am right is saying we are talking about the bit i have circled...

if so it would appear that mine is the same, meaning my car has NOT has the wiring mod done and it could be the cause of the Engine idle hang up during gear changes and engine speed undershoots (sounds like it almost stalls) during deceleration to a stop???

does anyone have a pic of the bit when the mod has been done so i can compare?

If this is the case i may get a quote for it to be done when i go in for my MOT at the end of the week...

Paul0008 Newbie

Yeah, that's the original plug.
The Ford TSB mod involves buying a new plug (the spring clip is on the other side).
The wiring is cut and the new plug is connected in.
Then there is a multi connector clipped onto the inner wing under the bonnet behind the driver's side headlamp. I think 3 of the wires going through said connector are cut and bypassed, which basically bypasses the potentially corroded connections.
There is a post somewhere on this forum detailing how to do it.
When I bought my FRP last year it had been off the road for quite a while and it suffered from the 'idle hang' syndrome. I just disconnected the TPS plug and the multi connector behind the headlamp, then reconnected them. This sorted it.
Paul

ethanfitz Newbie

Thanks for the info....

I didnt know there was another plug/multi connector relating to it...

think i will have a look for it and give it a clean/ disconnect-reconnect (like i did the other one before) and see if that makes any difference before i go replacing bits...

Good to know that mine hasn't had the mod done in case the multi plug isnt the issue...

thanks for the help... is this muti plug easy to get to?
Ethan

Paul0008 Newbie

No, it's a bit of a pain to get to, unless you've got fingers like ET :lol:
It's tucked in behind the power steering fluid reservoir and access is restricted by the air con pipes.
I think I removed the headlamp to get better access.
Paul

ethanfitz Newbie

Ahh... well i will have a look im changing a blown side light tonight so will give it a go... if not i will try again on the weekend in better light outside of the garage haha!

thanks for the help

Previous

Return to FRP Q & A?