Board index FRP Q & A? Insurance Valuations

Insurance Valuations

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm
pandy Newbie

Seems prices for the very best Racing Pumas might be on the rise. I know of a 20.000 mile car that recently went for
just under 13k and there is a nice one up on Pistonheads with 35,000 miles for 15k which seems optimistic but who knows.

What do we think an immaculate car with 19,500 miles should be valued at for insurance purposes? I need to do an
agreed value for the car and want a fairly accurate figure bearing in mind that my car is virtually irreplaceable with that
mileage and in its present virtually still showroom condition.

Cheers.

Post Thu May 28, 2015 7:54 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

There is more to the price then just mileage I think.
For me an original car with interesting history, good maintenance services and low cosmetic change is worth more than a low mileage resprayed FRP. In the true sense of a classic the more original paint the better.
As you already have one sold price of similar mileage then compare what you know of that car to your car and decide where the value sits.
I do agree that the price for very good ones has risen yet again.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:23 am
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

Thing is now is that if you want one then they are less and less being advertised to choose from.

I remember not even a couple of years ago you could check eBay/Autotrader and find around 10 with a price scale £3-7k, now you're lucky to find 3.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:18 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

The prices do seem to be very extreme these days.. some of the rougher ones I honestly wouldn't give £500 for now, I think when you've owned one you realise the bangers are just not worth the amount of constant hassle and expenditure any more... There are still some nice ones out there though, and as 'Red' says, the nice ones really are in low numbers. These cars can be simply valued by the owner at what they 'deem' it to be worth... 15k tho.. lol :lol: :lol:

I still enjoy servicing them and having a little fun 'testing' them and bedding the brakes in... some of them are being run on a very tight budget unfortunately..

I don't know if it's just the ones that I end up trying to resurrect, but the state of some of calipers is just shocking... doesn't help that Alcon won't make any more either... will have to start stocking an alternative caliper for the ones I just can't fit back on the car anymore... :/

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 am
Paul0008 Newbie

El dude wrote:
I don't know if it's just the ones that I end up trying to resurrect, but the state of some of calipers is just shocking... doesn't help that Alcon won't make any more either... will have to start stocking an alternative caliper for the ones I just can't fit back on the car anymore... :/

Is there not a disc/caliper set up that would bolt straight in? They are just bored out Fiesta knuckles after all, and there's plenty of room behind the Speedline alloys.
They don't really need to be up the performance of the Alcons for general road use. I realise it's taking away the originality, but eventually, as you say, an alternative will be needed to keep some on the road.
Paul

Return to FRP Q & A?