Board index FRP Q & A? space saver

space saver

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:05 pm
mikey s Newbie

Hi all,

Will be doing a south of france tour next month in the puma and could really do with a space saver to carry in the boot. Would a focus mk1 space saver fit or anyone with any other suggestions can help with.

Thanks

Mike
FRP 103 LSD

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:05 am
the old gimmer RPOC Regular

Hi Mike,

Having taken my FRP to France on a number of occasions I know what your worrying about, the repair kits are as good as use less.

But fear not if you look at the small print on your European breakdown cover, which is essential, it covers all cars that dont have a spare wheel, a breakdown vehicle will attend and arrange for the tyre to be replaced.

That said you could be looking at a long wait.

Modern tyres are pretty reliable never had a flat yet on the frp.
FRP 10th Anniversary Duxford

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:46 pm
Allycat RPOC Regular

Hows about a standard Puma wheel and tire [ from your local scrap merchant ], I believe that the standard Puma wheel and tire fit over the FRP rear brake set up.
If you have a puncture on the rear --- no problem.
If you have a puncture on the front, change the one of the rear wheels onto the front and the standard Puma wheel and tire onto the rear.

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:08 pm
mikey s Newbie

Will a space saver not fit over the rear brakes then as suggested by previous post switch the wheels around from rear to front?
FRP 103 LSD

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Have a look into the ST170 space saver, it might offer enough ET for the front wheels and it might be the right rolling diametre.
I carry a full spare tied down in the boot.
Be careful (very) jacking the FRP up at the back on the standard jack, lift it too far or just badly, or unluky it will fall off.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:48 pm
mikey s Newbie

Hi all, I managed to pick up a st170 space saver as mentioned above £50 off ebay, as expected space saver fits fine on the rear but does not clear the brakes on the front. So if it does come to the worse and I get a flat on the front, I will have to swap the rear wheel to the front and have the space saver on the back.
FRP 103 LSD

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:17 pm

Great price that
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:44 pm
483 Newbie

I know it's no use now, but what about switching to run flats?

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 pm

oooh my neighbour :) 482 here

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 pm
483 Newbie

:D Hi twin, how's it going

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Great thank you and it is RSOC at Combe this Saturday, you didn't fancy coming along too?

Return to FRP Q & A?