Board index FRP Q & A? Best emergency Jack

Best emergency Jack

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm
ethanfitz Newbie

Hi everyone,

i have read in a few places that it can be risky to jack up the FRP using the supplied jack as it could fall off and cause a lot of damage....

with that in mind i just wanted to know what do you suggest as the best emergency jack???

Obviously a trolley jack is best but they are heavy a big so im not going to carry one of those around.... really that leaves either a Scissor jack like this (although this has to use the sills to lift):
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_743659_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

or a bottle jack like this:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_898867_langId_-1_categoryId_255207

Are there any others?

Basically as a new FRP owner if i have to change a wheel on the isde of the road (not a home where i have my trolley jack) what is the best jack to have in the boot compartment to make it as safe and risk free as possible (for me and the car!)

thanks
Ethan

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

Its a bit irrelevant as the FRP doesnt have a spare, you should have a can of tyre weld in the boot.

The standard jack isnt the best but as long as you are careful to change a wheel (if you had one) should be OK

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 pm
Paul0008 Newbie

I agree with that, if you're carrying a spare as some people do, the Ford supplied jack should be ok for a wheel change. At least you don't have to get down on your knees to find a suitable jacking point under the car, which you would have to do with a scissor or bottle jack.
As long as your jacking area on the sill is structurally sound you will be able to lift it high enough to change a wheel.
I would make sure I protect the paint though with a bit of thin carpet or something.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 am
ethanfitz Newbie

Yep i have a spare that i will sling in the boot for long journeys (i play ultimate Frisbee and travel all over the place to play).

Was just wondering really as some people have said it can fall off when jacking up the rear.

I already have a scissor jack from my last car as well but if there is no need to buy another that's good because i already have 3 lol (ford one, scissor and trolley)

Thanks

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 am
Paul0008 Newbie

ethanfitz wrote:
Was just wondering really as some people have said it can fall off when jacking up the rear.

This is probably due to not securing the front (leave in gear and/or chock at least one wheel) :roll:

If I had a spare I would probably get hold of a spare wheel tray from a standard Puma and get one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-F ... 485d7718c5

Get your boot space back :wink:

Return to FRP Q & A?