Board index FRP Q & A? Newbie couple of Questions

Newbie couple of Questions

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Thu May 23, 2013 5:44 pm
rsindigo Newbie

Hi
I have owned my current 1.7 Puma for 5 years,I have today purchased a FRP No.234 and I have the following queries?

I use Shell fuel, should I use the standard unleaded fuel or the Shell V power in my FRP?

Should there be a jack in my FRP ?

Post Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 pm
W4FRP User avatar
RPOC Regular

Congrats on your purchase - you will have the grin factor for quite a while as the novelty never quite wears off !

I always ran mine on standard unleaded. I occasionally used the higher octane fuel but it didn't perform any better and I always felt that it used more fuel. Maybe you will get a more technical answer from other owners ..........

The jack should be in a compartment on the left side of the boot as you stand behind the car.

Enjoy your new purchase !!

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:40 pm
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Hi and welcome along. I also use a mix of standard unleaded and super unleaded normally alternate on fill ups. If you do have a jack don't use it.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 pm
rsindigo Newbie

Thank you for the replies.

There isn't a jack, the compartment is empty, I didn't know if the racing Puma should have a jack ?

V4 FRP - why do you say If you do have a jack don't use it ? I was planning to try & get a puma jack from ebay.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 am
coopersmotors Newbie

rsindigo wrote:
Hi
I have owned my current 1.7 Puma for 5 years,I have today purchased a FRP No.234 and I have the following queries?

I use Shell fuel, should I use the standard unleaded fuel or the Shell V power in my FRP?

1. There is no real advantage to be gained by using higher octane fuel in preference to standard fuel without making the relevant changes to ignition timing &/or compression ratio. In fact it is likely to be detrimental to both performance & economy. Higher octane fuel is designed to be used in higher performance engines. Such engines would not fair well on lower octane fuel & would likely suffer permanent damage.

2. The potential difference between them is relatively small & would only become apparent on a dyno, or against a stopwatch. As a general rule of thumb, changes in performance of less than 15% are likely to be imperceptible to the driver in any case (increases of noise excluded). Stick to bogo unleaded & put the money you save towards things like poly bushes & such.

3. The boot jack is fit for purpose, which is to support the vehicle during wheel removal for tire attention on that corner only, one wheel at a time. If the sill is damaged by the jack then the sill is at fault, not the jacking method. Anything more involved than this should include a decent trolley jack & axle stands.

Oh & yes I've got one of each also !!!

Post Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 am
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

My response about the jack comes from the number of people early on who used the jack and found the car over balanced and fell off. I've never used the one in mine rely on a trolley jack instead also as the car has no spare wheel I only jack the car up at home were I to have a flat away from home its AA recovery for me.

Post Sat May 25, 2013 8:39 am
coopersmotors Newbie

Well yes, exactly, the thing can be tricky to use at the best of times. Then your left with a long walk, lugging a wheel about. :evil:

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

I use standard jack on front fine, jacking the rear is where the overbalancing problem can arise and makes a nastey bodywork gauge if occurs.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

speak to Ian G for a jack he is a puma breaker in Liverpool, top bloke and much cheaper than ebay details below

simon

Puma parts from stock - see my threads here - 07866 423809 or PM me.
Paypal: ian@pumabits.co.uk | Now on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pumabits

rsindigo wrote:
Hi

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 pm
dazusmaximus User avatar

Thanks for the information people.

Return to FRP Q & A?