Board index FRP Q & A? Just bought some mk1 focus RS wheels

Just bought some mk1 focus RS wheels

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 pm
garysfrp Newbie

I'm now just needing a bit of advice, i.e what size tyres are best so they don't catch and should i take the spacers off ? it has spacers all round for my comp TH2's.

cheers

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

the best advice is ...put them on Ebay :wink:

8)

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:52 pm
garysfrp Newbie

ha ha why's that i think the FRP looks brilliant with these 18's on :D always been my favorite wheel for them

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:50 am

'looks' ok yes....what is does to the car is another matter... :?

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:58 pm
garysfrp Newbie

Why have you had some or know anyone who has what does it do? ill be keeping the 17's for track days etc!

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 am
Mogsmex User avatar
RPOC Regular

142 had FRS wheel on it when I bought it, it drove a LOT better when I ditched them and went back to std wheels

(and looked better :wink: )

Cheers Glyn Image
Ex FRP 142, Ex # 338, Ex # 191.......back for more with FMC 05 :roll:

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:04 pm

There's a laundry list of issues that you effect when you change a tyre and wheel setup on a car...

In the case of the FRP, the original chassis is just not designed with 'Big' wheels in mind hence the lovely tickford mod at the front underneather the carpets..lol also the rack and steering is not really designed for it either, the turning circle on the 17's is bad enough as is! then there's the not so obvious changes of ride height, change of shape of the actual contact patch on the floor.... plus your going to have to bin the front carpets which not only deflect a lot of muck and water, but also make a big difference acoustically speaking....

then you get onto the finer issues of tyre choice in that size, which will probably have to go down to 35 profile...mm, comfortable NOT.. :? Plus, 'Premium' rubber that will complement the car in that size will be very costly, which probably means you'll end up buying budget tyres, which will make the 35 profile seem even worse :x ... :? :?

Still like the wheels... ?? :lol:

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:54 pm
garysfrp Newbie

yep ha ha

front arch liners are out anyways and it doesn't go out in the rain its a summer toy :D

35 profile sounds the best then cam skill are doing Nankan NS2's which are really good have then on my 17's gripped well round silverstone

ill be keeping the 17's for track days etc

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Nankang... :? same as all the budget 'performance' tyres...soft grippy 'cheap' rubber...shame about the actual construction of the tyre itself which is very minimal! i honestly think speed and load ratings are a complete joke.. the difference in the tyre between premium ones and budget ones showing the same ratings is just laughable :evil: :evil:

I can only imagine how horible the ride is going to be on 225 35 18 ..on a budget tyre when it's worn down by a few mm... eek! :|

Chris

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:30 pm
garysfrp Newbie

have you not got an FRP ? the ride is hard as hell :twisted: ha ha ha

no matter anyways it a weekend toy who cares if it rides hard

Return to FRP Q & A?