Board index FRP Q & A? Advice needed urgently!

Advice needed urgently!

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:14 pm

I know this is going to be a long shot, but Im off to see #21 in 30 mins, has anyone got any history or advice about it?

I know it was the Toyo PR car and thats about it!

Thanks

Si

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:14 am
Ed RPOC Enthusiast

Did you buy it?
Ed.
Ex-FRP449

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 am

Errmmm in a word no!

I dont know whether my expecations are too high, but it wasnt any where near the standard i would have expected!

Time to step up the search i think, need to get one asap and dont mind traveling (within reason i.e 150 miles or so).

So any advice or pointers on any FRP that are for sale would be greatly appreciated!.

Thanks

Si

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 am
L8FRP User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

Have you had a look at the buyers guide section?

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:33 am
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

What did you think was wrong with it?
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:02 am

L8FRP wrote:
Have you had a look at the buyers guide section?

Yeah and that came in VERY helpful, I was thinking more information related to the specific cars i will be looking at!

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:13 am

lisafrp wrote:
What did you think was wrong with it?

Right, well this is my opinion!

The front had a serious case of acne (aka stone chips) and i mean we are talking it needed to take out shares in Clearsil! There was also slight damage to one of the front wings and bumper which hadnt been repaired well, the bonnet had been sprayed poorly in at least 2 places. All of the wheels were kerbed quite badly.
There was rust comming through on one of the valences, when asked about service history I was told her dad had serviced it as he had a business.
I asked about the cambelt (car has done 71k) and was told it hadnt been done as it wasnt needed til 100k. Not what was in the buying guide!
It looked like it was still on its original exhaust system as well (nothing wrong with this, but we know it will be expensive when it goes!)

I asked about brake and was told they had been serviced; but was convinced to the extent of the service as the callipers looked quite pitted.

The interior looked as the though the seats were very worn and the alcantara (trying to think how best to describe this lol) looked like it was turning more to a shag pile look on the seats. It also had a different gear knob to normal (not sure if this had anything to do with it being a press car).

Thats what i remember off the top of my head, sorry if i offend anyone by saying it; but I wouldnt let my gf spend her money on that car!

Si

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:45 am
lisafrp User avatar

Oh dear, that's a shame :(

Some cars may have stone chips on the front as this is what they suffer from, also on the rear wings. You could get it resprayed, and supervise the respray so it is done to your satisfaction.

Rust - you have to remember that these cars are 8 years old, and fords, so there could possibly be some rust, at least it hadn't been badly repaired!! ;)

The cambelt should have been done at 5 years regardless of how many miles it has done - seeing as we are in the 8th year, then it should have been done really.

I'm surprised the original exhaust has lasted this long, they usually rust.

The interior can be repaired, but not worth the hassle if there is a better car out there for less money.

Ed has a fairly good history of most of the FRP's, so could give you the run down, just drop him a pm about ones you are interested in (allowing a couple of days for a reply), and he should be able to help you out :) Also helps to let us know what sort of budget you have in mind for buying one?
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:12 pm

We were both expecting stone chips, but the amount that was displayed on this one was quite substantial. I have no probs getting a car resprayed but feel the money that was being asked for this one, should have warranted the car being in a far better condition!

Looking at possibly seeing another 2 FRP's this week/early next, #411 and another which i am trying to find out the # of.
Her budget is about 7k
She cant wait to get one and then get out to some shows!!! I just wanna drive it lol

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:20 pm
L8FRP User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

7k is a reasonable amount and should get you a better conditioned one than the one you have described. Its just a matter of doing your research and joining RPOC for some brilliant guides on how to keep your frp in top notch condition :D

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:17 pm
lisafrp User avatar

£7k is a good budget - #411 has got quite a bit of history. Tiff Needel drove it at one of the RS owners days one year, and has signed the engine and manifold. It was in good condition last time I saw it, but can't comment what its like now as I haven't seen it for a few years.
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Got the other number and goign to PM Ed now!!!

Its really reassuring knowing there are some very knowledgable people willing to help us out!

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:50 pm
lisafrp User avatar

Feel free to ask anymore Q's and we'll try and help you out. There are quite a few of us that have owned for over 5 years, I'm just coming up to my 8th year having owned from new, so you could say a lot of us know the FRP inside out!! :)

Once you do have one, then make sure you join the Racing Puma Owners Club as it'll unlock a massive section to the forum thats not yet visible, with loads of member benefits, and special offers, and very useful advice to help keep your FRP in tip top shape :)
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 am

lisafrp wrote:
Feel free to ask anymore Q's and we'll try and help you out. There are quite a few of us that have owned for over 5 years, I'm just coming up to my 8th year having owned from new, so you could say a lot of us know the FRP inside out!! :)

Once you do have one, then make sure you join the Racing Puma Owners Club as it'll unlock a massive section to the forum thats not yet visible, with loads of member benefits, and special offers, and very useful advice to help keep your FRP in tip top shape :)

Im sure the GF will be joining up properly as soon as she has got one - I'll even push her to sign up for 2 years lol

Got two potential ones on the shortlist now, just got to try and sort the time to go and see them asap!!!!

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:12 pm
lisafrp User avatar

Great :)

Good luck with your viewing, I hope you come home with one of them
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:43 pm

off to see 411 tonight, another 2 in the equation as well now!!!

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:33 pm
spikebmth RPOC Enthusiast

haha, you should see Eldood's bonnet... thats needs some clearasil!!! :)

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:39 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

oi!... thats 5 year old paint :) 8)

there's not many around that look as good as mine and still on the original paint.... it still looks pretty good when given a good polish...

i'd like to get it painted at some point this year tho... :wink:

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:59 am

Wahey!!!! We got one yesterday!!!!!!!

Looked at 411 and it wasnt rite for us, but trekked to the other side of the country and bought one last night!

I wont spoil the GF's thunder and tell you which one, she will prob sign up properly later today!!!!

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:06 am
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Excellent news look forward to seeing your GF on here soon.

Next

Return to FRP Q & A?