Board index FRP Q & A? Exhaust systems

Exhaust systems

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:23 pm
pcuthbert Newbie

looking to replace the exhaust on 068 any got any ideas one which is the best system

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 pm
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Got the Janspeed on V4 sounds great and so far no MOT problems re immisions. Looks great too.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:08 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

The Piper and the Janspeed have the advantage of being interchangeable with the OEM system and look the same, so pick one and replace the bits if/as yours fail might be an approach.
Janspeed might be a problem with supply, you will need to find out.
Noise with either will be a bit different as OEM is mild steel the other two being stainless.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:41 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

Miltek is best for me, I've got piper but it is too noisy

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:19 am
pcuthbert Newbie

Looks like the Janspeed item then cheers

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:20 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

i think janspeed have got a spare manifold in stock from the group order we did ages ago....

back box and center section..you'll have to get the Piper one .... :)

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:26 am

Blue3 wrote:
Miltek is best for me, I've got piper but it is too noisy

Series I or II?
The first version Piper did was very nosiey (insanely as Chris descibes it) series II is still noisey but not as loud.

If you get the Janspeed manifold make sure you get it supplied with the manifold heat shield boses attached.
Ditto for Miltek.
You need to keep the heat shield on the manifold that your car will have now.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm
garysfrp Newbie

Does the after market miltek/janspeed sound much different to the OE exhaust?

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Miltek is not as composed a sound when I did a listen to them, I found it the weakest noise, not quite as meaty but not like it was very different, just enough on the system I heard to form a preference.
Piper is like OEM but louder/fuller, and very loud if it is the series I version.
Janspeed is like OEM but boomier and a tad louder, but mine is a custom Janspeed version so can't comment how like OEM it is if the centre section silencer is present.
As to whether the Piper or the Miltek have the rolling pea sound on high lift off I can't comment. My custom Janspeed does but again can't comment if the Janspeed one with their standard centre section does.
All sound different to OEM as they are stainless steel.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:30 pm
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

You could always get a Powerflow or Longlife exhaust made up to make your own sound rather than off the shelf. I have a powerflow backbox and centre section on mine (with the FRP cat welded in), still on a standard manifold at the moment.

I still have John's (hampton) Janspeed back box in my garage roof, I'm sure if you made him an offer he would take it!
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 pm
pcuthbert Newbie

Hi all
found a company in leeds that will build a custom exhaust system in stainless
with tail pipe to match the original
can make system as loud or as quiet as you want
quoting £250.00
system has a lifetime gurantee

:lol:

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Sounds a great price.
Why not go one further have your original tail pipe cut off and they use that to weld onto the new back box they provide.
Best of all as you know it will look exactly right from the rear.

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:46 pm
pcuthbert Newbie

Sound idea i might just do that

Cheers :idea:

Return to FRP Q & A?