Board index FRP Q & A? Ask me for Alcantara Retrims, SEATS/St Wheel/Gaiters

Ask me for Alcantara Retrims, SEATS/St Wheel/Gaiters

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

FRP426 Newbie

Hi all, (this post has been updated 11th May 2012, please read update at bottom of this text)
I have a trimmer who is willing and able to retrim FRP front AND rear seats in alcantara as well as the perforated leather/vinyl patches,
steering wheels, gaiters, handbrake covers. I have had 2 FRP/Sparco seats done and a steering wheel and am happy to offer his work to fellow FRP owners.
The seats and the steering wheel were done using my own free-issued genuine alcantara. We have matched the perf leather for the patches on the seats as well.
I will post pics later of the work as waiting for my HD digi camera to come back from repairs.
First, I can foresee an issue with a shortage of the proper FRP/Ford/Sparco Blue alcantara so may I suggest any owners of genuine stuff make it known that they have some and how many square feet/metres if possible.
Also, whether it would be available for sale to members at an agreed price. The other problem is that there are two types; one with thicker "foam" backing and t'other with thin non foam (Ibelieve) backing both only used on
certain areas of the car, so if you can state whether "thick or thin".
I have already taken the next step and talked to Alcantara factory via UK concessionaire as it is possible to match the material and colour but they/we/I would need to order a minimum quantity.
So, to get an idea please could you message me in this topic (not PM) so that I can get an idea of how much material is needed and give you a competitive quote.
One idea to cut lead times is to build up a stock of seats retrimmed and then do a swap but this may not be totally practical.

When you enquire please use this format: (offered in genuine alcantara which may be free issued by you or other members or purchased from Factory source in due course)
Please note this is for base cushion retrim only at this point due to not being able to replicate exactly (yet) the emroidery emblems on backrest. However if you are prepared to "lose" the ford racing etc on backrest then it can be done (see below)
1) FRP/Sparco front seat free issued, base cushion retrim only
2) FRP/Sparco front seat free issued, back rest retrim only
3) FRP/Sparco front seat free issued, perf leather patch, state how many need doing (ideally all 4 so we get all new look and matching)

3) Rear cushion backrest, free issued
4) Rear cushion base, free issued
5) Steering wheel retrim
6) Gear stick gaiter
7 Handbrake cover
I would politely point out that it is unlikely my trimmer will match your demands for FAST delivery so it will be a case of first come first served. If you would like to state whether your need is Urgent/Non Urgent that will help as well.
I hope this works out for everyone and it is just another contribution to keeping our cars looking good and on the road. It will probably need tweeking at some point but I'm happy to give it my best shot.
AT THIS STAGE PLEASE DO NOT PM ME as I want to keep all incoming requests in one place and open to all equally.
Thanks
John Arundell
UPDATE 11th May 2012
I am updating all current FRP owners with the reality of availability of the Genuine Blue Alcantara material needed for trimming seats/wheels/door cards etc for our cars.
I have spoken to Boyriven in Andover and they will reproduce the material and colour shade for a minimum order of 400 linear metres at 62.50 plus 20% VAT per metre run (the cloth is 1.4 metres wide). This amount is clearly impossible to justify anyone buying in one go.
I have also spoken to the factory direct to find out if they or any agents may have some original stock still. The answer is NO. It was a special run ordered by FORD and the material that Boyriven had (and no longer have any) was the surplus as Ford originally ordered enough only for 1000 cars and 500 were built.
This situation forces us into doing something different if you want to retrim your cars, which I am now offering through the all the Puma Clubs.
The options are:
1) use a different colour blue (still made by Alcantara) but none of their standard colours are anywhere near a colour match
2) use a different manufacturers material (which can be a close match to Alcantara in design/feel/look/usability and durability) but still Faux Leather
For option 2) I have done some detective work and have sourced some samples of material which is normally stocked in UK and would not need to be ordered in large Factory quantities. The look of these alternatives is certainly pretty good the colour match is pretty close. If anyone wants me to quote for FRP retrims including: Sparco Seats including perforated leather patches, rear seat cushions, steering wheels, gearstick gaiters, handbrake covers or door and rear panel cards then a decision needs to be made to switch to this alternative.
I have also managed to resource the perforated "leather" and my trimmer has done a few seat bolster patches on my Sparco FRP seats and I am very pleased with the result so have no hesitation in offering this to you.
I will quote on an individual basis. Please state whether you are free-issuing own material or not. I will send samples of the alternative materials and colour for you to decide before doing the work.
I am based in Camberley Surrey and my contact details are 0127631280 or 07527296757
John Arundell FRP426 and 476
Last edited by FRP426 on Fri May 11, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

FRP9 RPOC Regular

Where are you based? I need the leather patches done on my drivers seat

FRP 160 Newbie

I am interested in being part of a bulk-buy of alcantara. At present, my seats do not need doing, however, I will want them done at some point. My steering wheel, on the other hand, is in desperate need of attention and is on the to-do list. I wouldn't mind some gaitors either. Count me in for a bulk-buy, I do not know how much I would need, but assume I would be interested, cost dependent.

Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

One linier meter will do one seat base and the steering wheel twice, with scraps left over for a gaiter etc.
We have had a few "group buys" over the years, with prices ranging from £60 odd to £35 on the last one, per meter.
But all the material has now gone. It was a special order by Ford, and the only reason that there was any left originally was that Ford / Tickford was going to build 1000 cars. Luckily they didn't :wink:
I did ask when I was at Boyriven a few years ago about doing another order, but the price was £1000's :cry:
Most of us who have had their cars for a number of years have some material tucked away for future use, and won't part with it.

One of the Ebay gaiter sellers does quite a close colour match, as I have a set of his gaiters. He also was using a picture from my car in his advert I noticed...
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Blue3 RPOC Regular

What sort of price is he looking at for a steering wheel retrim?

Simon

FRP426 Newbie

FRP9 wrote:

Hi FRP9, please call me on 0127631280 if you still need patches doing. Thanks John Arundell
Tel 0127631280

FRP426 Newbie

Blue3 wrote:
What sort of price is he looking at for a steering wheel retrim?

Simon

Hi Simon, in Genuine original Alcantara it's 145, in alternative equivalent it's 130 pounds. Please call me on 0127631280 if required. Cheers John Arundell

FRP426 Newbie

FRP 160 wrote:
I am interested in being part of a bulk-buy of alcantara. At present, my seats do not need doing, however, I will want them done at some point. My steering wheel, on the other hand, is in desperate need of attention and is on the to-do list. I wouldn't mind some gaitors either. Count me in for a bulk-buy, I do not know how much I would need, but assume I would be interested, cost dependent.

Hi FRP160, in Genuine original Alcantara it's 145, in alternative equivalent it's 130 pounds. Please call me on 0127631280 if required. Cheers John Arundell

FRP426 Newbie

FRP 160 wrote:

Hi FRP160, in Genuine original Alcantara it's 145, in alternative equivalent it's 130 pounds. Please call me on 0127631280 if required. Cheers John Arundell

FRP426 Newbie

FRP9 wrote:

Hi FRP9, please call me on 0127631280 as it depends how many need doing, also whether the patches have pulled the surrounding material excessively. Cheers John Arundell

FRP426 Newbie

FRP9 wrote:

Hi FRP9, please call me on 0127631280 as it depends how many need doing, also whether the patches have pulled the surrounding material excessively. Cheers John Arundell

Return to FRP Q & A?