Board index FRP Q & A? Low Mileage FRPs - How Many Sub 20,000 Mile Cars Left?

Low Mileage FRPs - How Many Sub 20,000 Mile Cars Left?

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

pandy Newbie

Very curious to find out how many really low mileage FRPs are out there with say under
20,000 miles on the clock. I'm aware of about four or five cars with between 6 and 12k
mileages that have cropped up at shows or for sale in the last two years so how many
people are just storing and not using their cars? I know this defeats the object of the FRP
but will obviously reflect in the value of these cars.

FRP9 RPOC Regular

I'd take a guess of less than 10. Mines on 90k, that seems to be the average.

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Very few, also i'd be wary of buying ones that were TBH... storing something like a car needs specific storage conditions ideally...

Could be buying into a whole host of work needing doing... the paintwork didn't match up on the original finish very well between the panels, then you'd need to check rear brake mod, tyres, bushes etc etc..

If the show car ever came back from Italy, and i had a few quid , i think i could be tempted tho.. 8)

Chris

Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Wasted FRP's

I looked back over the last 5 years MOT's on-line since I have owned #72.
Between 4 and 5k miles a year, but very hard miles including track action.
Plus it is driven daily. :D
Mines up to 85K now.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

markc Newbie

How many miles has V1 FRP, the Ford owned one, covered now? It seems to get dusted off every time a mag wants to revisit the FRP 8)

I bet between 10-20 cars were purchased as "collectors". Most collector peeps keep their cars in ideal dry, warm conditions, have fluids changed annually and have them started and moved (rather than actually driven) every few weeks or months. They'd be great cars to buy and would only need a few items renewed to make them box fresh. However the premium you'd pay for them (twice as much?) would be instantly wiped away the moment you used them normally.

Mine (031) crashed through 40K miles when I picked it up last summer. It's been garaged most of the time since and is current waiting to have it's re painted bumpers (due to stone chips) re-fitted. I'm looking forward to putting a few more miles on it this summer 8)

Anyone know of any events or shows coming up where a group of FRPs might get together?

Cheers

Mark

Bentleya User avatar
RPOC Regular

RS Day in July, is the annually FRP get to geather Mark. More info will be posted on this on the comeing months.

If you get yourself on the Project Puma, there is a few FRPs going to Fiesta in the Park and a range of other meets.
FRP: 190.

coopersmotors Newbie

Mines FMC23 - Just turned 44k last week.

coopersmotors Newbie

It gets better!! Had a closer look at the documentation of this thing of mine & I'm fairly convinced there's a 6K miles discrepancy between the engine & chassis. - As it would have been illegal to misrepresent the mileage of the new VIN on rebuild, (by using the clocks out of the original vehicle, which was written off at 12.6k miles); the clocks fitted are from the later, 2002 Puma Thunder, donor shell, which I believe showed 19k miles at the time the rebuild took place. The true mileage for the rest of the vehicle may well lag by 6k miles. One thing that made me wonder about this was the color of the oil when dipped. I could accept it being clean at first as it had recently been serviced, but here we are some 1800 miles later & it's still the color of golden syrup.
I felt really quite out on a limb buying this vehicle, knowing their rarity, the cost of certain parts, knowing it's checkered history, but as the vendor was so upfront about the whole thing, I decided to give it a shot. My opinion after nearly 6 months of owning this vehicle, - I made the right choice for me - It corners like a stabbed rat :D

Return to FRP Q & A?