Board index FRP Q & A? Anyone tried 225's (Tyres)

Anyone tried 225's (Tyres)

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:05 pm
markc Newbie

I'm having my wheels re furbed and will be fitting new tyres upon their return. Given that the correct 215 width tyres barely stretch across the 7inch rim and offer zero protection to kerbing, I was thinking of fitting 225's instead.

I realize that the higher and therefore softer sidewall won't do any favours to the legendary handling but as the FRP is sharper than brand new scalpel anyway, shaving a few % off its ultimate capability will still leave it head and shoulders above anything this side of a R26R or GT3. It will also dull the acceleration a smidge but on the flip side it will very slightly improve cruising (lower revs) and may also improve the ride a smidge. Does anyone else run 225's? If so what do you think?

It's not that I intend to bounce of every kerb in town but in the FRP a single lapse in concentration means a scaped rim for sure :x

Cheers

Mark

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:26 pm
Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

I was offered some track tyres a year or so ago, 225-40-17 and when we go the measure out, they were going to foul the arches.
You will also touch the arch liner on full lock or on lock with the suspension compressed.
It is possible to compress a FRP's suspension if you corner hard enough :lol:

Thinking about it, I'm sure 225's have been fitted to a FRP, but not sure at what cost.
Maybe the car wasn't driven hard ??
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:46 pm
markc Newbie

Thanks Graham. I assume you mean they will foul the front inner arch?

Did you actually fit and run them on track or just measure them up?

Cheers

Mark

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:42 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

I'd stick with the tried and tested.. :wink:

save wasting money on the wrong tyres and then having to defend them for a year or two.. :lol:

if you want rim protection then buy the Pilot exalto's, they have nice bead of rubber covering the rim... i remember touching it once parking and was very thankful on that occasion that i had the pilots on... not a mark on the wheel.. :) I'm using Hankooks now and allowing plenty of kerb space..

:D

Chris

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:48 pm
markc Newbie

As much as I like and respect Michelin tyres they do come out about 50% more expensive than a perfectly good branded alternative. Does anyone know of another suitable tyre with a protective rim bead?

I have the Dunlop 7000's on them at the moment.

Cheers

Mark
Last edited by markc on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:22 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

From memory.. the Eagle F1's that were on my car when i bought it had rim protection on them..

:idea:

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm
markc Newbie

The Vredestein Ultra Sessanta seems to have a pronounced rim protector and they come in FRP sizes, anyone tried them?

Trying to post a pic... Image

Cheers

Mark

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:54 pm
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

Yes.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:48 pm
markc Newbie

red wrote:
Yes.

225's and/or Ultra Sessanta's?

... and were the results good, bad or indifferent :)

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:47 pm
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

I ran standard 215 Sessanta all round and they were a good grippy tyre, needed a bit more air than standard in the front in my opinion as I found them a bit squirmy under heavy braking but this could have been attributed to a number of worn rubber parts I later had replaced.

All in all I liked them and they get very good reviews on other cars.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 am
kingston-dave Newbie

Hi All.

I've just purchased a complete set of new wheels from Pumabuild along with a set of toyo Proxy TR-1's. (A cracking deal it must be said). The Toyo's seem to have a reasonable rim protector, but I'll just be staying well clear of the curbs once I've fitted them.

Cannot work out how to include a pic, sorry.

Dave :D

Return to FRP Q & A?