Board index FRP Q & A? Alcon vs. Brembo disc and caliper upgrade

Alcon vs. Brembo disc and caliper upgrade

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 am
pandy Newbie

What is the general consensus of opinion on the Brembo front disc and caliper upgrade Alan at
Pumabuild has made to a good number of FRPs?

My car had this done at the behest of the previous owner and looking at the bill it wasn't cheap.
What was the reason for this alternative as it certainly wasn't any cheaper than the Alcons.
I'm guessing it was on the grounds that the Brembos require less maintainance but how do they
compare performance wise? My car certainly seems to stop pretty well and Ford obviously had a
re-think and put them on the Focus RS Mk1.

Is it considered an acceptable upgrade in FRP circles or for originality sake and FRP potential classic
value should it be wearing Alcons? Personally aesthetically wise i think the Brembos look better but
that's just my humble opinon! Anybody?

red User avatar
RPOC Regular

While you're driving it whatever you're happy with..providing the conversion was done well.

When you sell it it might put potential buyers off a little bit but I don't think personally it'd be a deal breaker.

I thought the reason people did things like this was for future pad / disc replacement costs. From what I've heard the callipers still corrode in the same kind of way to the Alcons.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

The Brembo conversion is certainly an expensive way of sidestepping what is just a servicing issue really... for the sake of a yearly cleanup seems crazy to me...

I know one chap who had the brembo's fitted JUST because he couldn't stand the squeel anymore..lol The pads i use don't squeel at all, but the problem there is they don't come like that out the box, i do have to mod them slightly...but it's not rocket science

the Brembo's can rot in the same area as the alcons but generally speaking don't, for a very long time.... I serviced a pair from a Leon cupra on 90+k miles... and they have never been stipped down before, they were still showing only very early signs of corrosion... this is because the shells are treated FAR better than the Alcons... they are fully black anodised even in the thread and piston areas and then the thick polymer coating applied and laquered over the logo...which makes them evry easy to clean...the downside of that is the laquer peels over time and goes hoorible colour round the edges..hence the overhaul... they are very well made compared to the Alcons and the M12 bolts don't snap like the M8 ones going through the Alcons :x

personally, still wouldn't want to swap tho... the Alcon discs are just untouchable in quality, they just need the right pad and servicing to go with them..

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

d170sam RPOC Regular

I have brembos on mine, they work really really well, they feel so solid and strong, plus the discs are 20mm bigger than the alcons, so look better under the wheels, as for price, in total I got 2 custom brake lines, 2 custom mounting brackets, 2 overhauled calipers with new bolts, cross over pipes, mounting pins/plates, new ebc slotted discs and omp street/race pads all in for £450-£500, plus I can get new pads and discs in the fuure for a fiction of the costs and availability probs, I'm sure someone will disagree and say the alcons are the best brakes known to man, and the originality argument thrown in for good measure, but honestly I can say the brembos have many advantages over the alcons both aesthetically and financially, the reason I have them is my FRP is a replica, and when I built mine I wanted to have as many original ford parts as possible, but t go to a point where I had to choose the brakes and for me it was a no brainer to go for the Gocus RS setup

d170sam RPOC Regular

I have brembos on mine, they work really really well, they feel so solid and strong, plus the discs are 20mm bigger than the alcons, so look better under the wheels, as for price, in total I got 2 custom brake lines, 2 custom mounting brackets, 2 overhauled calipers with new bolts, cross over pipes, mounting pins/plates, new ebc slotted discs and omp street/race pads all in for £450-£500, plus I can get new pads and discs in the fuure for a fiction of the costs and availability probs, I'm sure someone will disagree and say the alcons are the best brakes known to man, and the originality argument thrown in for good measure, but honestly I can say the brembos have many advantages over the alcons both aesthetically and financially, the reason I have them is my FRP is a replica, and when I built mine I wanted to have as many original ford parts as possible, but t go to a point where I had to choose the brakes and for me it was a no brainer to go for the Gocus RS setup

Return to FRP Q & A?