Board index FRP Q & A? engine cuts out when i come 2 a stop

engine cuts out when i come 2 a stop

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:42 pm
seksy viki Newbie

hey guys havin a bit of trouble hope someone can help :D
no problems starting it but at first it does tend to judder a bit but thought maybe becoz engine cold? when i have to stop at junctions and lights about 60% of the time its cutting out unless i keep a rev on it, and u can sit it in neutral with handbrake on and if you giv a couple of gentle revs after 2nd or 3rd time it cuts out thats if it hasnt already wen u stop lol. im going 2 change the fuel filter 1st but if i do this and it still happens does any1 no of any other reasons it could be doing this?
dunno if this will help or is a seperate problem if i sit with the revs at around 2000 and dont move my foot at all it seems 2 gradually drop bit by bit and some times go back up and this is with no accelerator movement? cheers viki x

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:40 pm
bonnietiler RPOC Regular

It could easily be the idle control valve right on top in front of you on the right side of the engine.
They say that you can clean them but i've never had any luck with that.
they're not expensive, it's a very quick swap, (10mins to be honest)ideally what you need is another car with one that works and just change it, if you get an improvement then away you go.
cheers
bonnietiler

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 pm
Smudge User avatar
RPOC Regular

I had this and it was the HEGO sensor. Its giving incorrect readings to the ECU so its either flooding or restricting fuel like a boss.

But as bonnietiler said it could also be the idel control valve.

Matt
Matt
FRP #435

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:11 pm
seksy viki Newbie

i have taken off the idle controle valve and tried cleaning it with brake/clutch cleaner? havnt had it checked out 2 c if it workin properly tho so i will get that checked out aswell thanx :D

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:46 pm
seksy viki Newbie

where bouts is the hego sensor please and is it something u can get 2 easily or does a garage hav 2 sort somethin like that on the computors? thanx :D

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 pm
Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Its the sensor in the exhaust manifold. at the point all the pipes become one.
From Ford or Pumabuild around £100, but you can get patten ones on-line for about £25.

Its a good idea to un plug your battery for 20 minutes after fitting a new one, as it will reset the ECU.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
seksy viki Newbie

cheers every1 thats a great help shud get it sorted now :D :D

Post Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:17 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Could also perhaps be the TPS Throttle Position Sensor
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:39 pm
gally Newbie

Dogsbody wrote:
Its the sensor in the exhaust manifold. at the point all the pipes become one.
From Ford or Pumabuild around £100, but you can get patten ones on-line for about £25.

Its a good idea to un plug your battery for 20 minutes after fitting a new one, as it will reset the ECU.

Any links to the Cheap ones Graham? I fancy replacing mine soon.

Return to FRP Q & A?