Board index FRP Q & A? Gear selection.

Gear selection.

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm
Allycat RPOC Regular

Gear stick has recently become like a wooden spoon in a pot of Scots Broath.
1st. and 2nd. no problem however,coming out of 2nd. I have to go looking for 3rd.
Is there a spring or detent to position the gear stick in line with the 3rd. gear gate :?:
This has only recently become a problem.
Realy annoying when you get eaten by an MGF coming out of a tight corner in 2nd. because I missed 3rd :cry:

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:11 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Maybe your gear linkage has come loose or is worn.
It is underneath and runs to the gear box
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 pm
Allycat RPOC Regular

I'll get her up on the ramps tomorrow and check that out.

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

you can replace the linkage pole or the whole assembley incl. gearstick...

iv'e done 4 now.. they all feel much better afterwards.. :D ... altho i still miss 3rd when im changing up fast... :oops: :lol:

Chris

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:17 am
d170sam RPOC Regular

El dude wrote:
you can replace the linkage pole or the whole assembley incl. gearstick...

iv'e done 4 now.. they all feel much better afterwards.. :D ... altho i still miss 3rd when im changing up fast... :oops: :lol:

Chris

When you say you have done 4, do you replace old for new standard parts, or do you upgrade it in some way e.g with spherical bearings?

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:58 pm

just talking about replacing the stndard part...no point to try and 'upgrade' it...

with a new link pole it will feel fantastic!..

:D

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 am
mikey s Newbie

Would this linkage explain why sometimes i find it difficult to select reverse gear?
FRP 103 LSD

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:39 pm
Allycat RPOC Regular

Hi guys,
After a good crawl under #249 everything seams to be securely bolted together.
However there is slight lateral movement on the link pole,approx.1mm,is this sufficient to create problems on entry into 3rd. gear.
I assume that the link pole is a standard Puma part and would be readily available :?:
Willie

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:52 pm
ric377 Newbie

mikey s wrote:
Would this linkage explain why sometimes i find it difficult to select reverse gear?

Probably not, all the old Ford's are a PITA to put into reverse :lol:

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:34 pm

If there's any play in the nylon pivot joint at all it causes huge amount of sloppyness back at the stick shift :D

i'd say change it...they are all getting that way now :wink:

Chris

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:11 pm
markc Newbie

I reckon 031 would benefit from a new one these "nylon pivot joints", is that the official name? Is it a single part or will I need any other bits, maybe a kit? Will the Ford parts monkey know what I'm talking about? Ohh and how long should it take once I'm under the car?

Cheers

Mark

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 am

as said earlier...you can either by the 'pole' ...like this... http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2582/037linkage.jpg or the whole assembly...

you'll need to undo the exhaust center section at the manifold..and drop it a bit to get at it... maybe worth buying a new O ring whilst your at it, as sometimes they don't seal up again very well...

with the exhaust out the way and the heatsheilds off, you can then access the two bolts that secure the mount...undo those and drop the whole thing down incl. gearstick..

:D

Return to FRP Q & A?