Board index FRP Q & A? Need new heatshield - can i get one?

Need new heatshield - can i get one?

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:11 am
pandy Newbie

Just had a Pipercams centresection and manifold fitted and the exhaust guy i used couldn't
fit the manifold without destroying the old heatshield. He reckons it wouldn't fit on the
new manifold despite claims it should. At least not without taking engine out!

Anyway can i get a new heatshield - are they still available? And where from and what cost?
Haven't had a chance to ring Pumabuild as had this fitted late Friday afternoon. The
exhaust guy reckoned heatwrapping the manifold was a far better solution anyway as he
reckoned stainless heatshields frequently become brittle and break. Opinions? Would
rather keep car as standard personally.

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 am
FRP9 RPOC Regular

dont think they are FRP specific mate. Would have thought a normal puma one would fit, or even a fiesta zs one as they are the same manifolds.

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:42 pm
L8FRP User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

They have the stadard heat shield fitted but its slightly modified I believe to fit around the 4-2-1 manifold.

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:42 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

yep..standard item bent about a bit..

tell your garage they are idiots..lol how the hell did they expect to get the maifold off without CAREFULLY removing the heatsheild first..lol :lol: :lol:

Just fitted a OEM Janspeed manifold a couple of days ago... i have to say, i spent longer pratting around with the heatsheild than with the exhuast...it really is a fiddly job getting it neat and tidy on stands...

:x

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 pm
pandy Newbie

Cheers guys! thanks for all the replies!

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:37 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Nothing wrong with the original manifold, my original one has been refitted twice, so this is it's third time on and it is fine.
Change garage/chap I would.
Get a replacement heat shield and charge him for busting your old one.
The FRP needs people who are prepared to spend that little bit extra effort doing the job. In the long run this approach costs less, as sadly you are now having to buy a replacement heatshield.
I hope you got to keep your heat shield that was around your old centre section cat too. These are very useful as they fit the original and the Janspeed stainless cat and you might even have found someone else who would have wanted it. The bolts shear off, but the shield would have been reuseable :)
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Return to FRP Q & A?