Board index FRP Q & A? Alternative front discs?

Alternative front discs?

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:13 pm
mikey s Newbie

Hi, i was planning next year to buy the alcon front brake package - discs, pads, calipers, hoses mainly because i thought having a spare set of calipers maybe beneficial whilst having a set off for cleaning each time round?

Currently my front discs are feeling pretty worn and now my pads and shims have turned up i wouldlike to get some discs before fitting. I was looking at the cheaper alternatives on puma speed The machined ford items for £169.99 Has anyone used these or can direct me to any other cheaper alternatives for the time being?
FRP 103 LSD

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:25 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

I'd stay clear of those if you want proper frp braking... There is a bell and rotor system available for a bit less money that the alcon discs ...Around £350ish for plain discs.. an extra £60ish for grooved... at least they fit properly and are 28mm... your pistons will be half popping out on those discs you mention as they are not 28mm...so after a few years you'll be looking at new seals and pistons too...

:? :shock:

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:41 pm
bonnietiler RPOC Regular

I have to say that I bought a set of those some time ago and replaced them with a set of Genuine Alcons ( ta chris) the wear pattern on the Ford reground discs is quite strange, they do fit...with help of some "high-quality" washers but they're not worth the saving given what they look like now.
Bonnietiler

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:51 pm
mikey s Newbie

Cheers guys i didnt realise they wern't the same size. Don't really see they can be classed as a replacement if they differ in size.

People have been mentioning the hispecs bell and rotors but wasnt sure if it would be more beneficial at a cost similar to replacing the rotors to change the whole disc.

Whilst on the subject of grooved discs, are the alcons grooved or plain?
FRP 103 LSD

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:53 am
Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Alcons are plain
My spare set I fitted recently.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Return to FRP Q & A?