Board index FRP Q & A? How are "we" received by the RS boys and girls?

How are "we" received by the RS boys and girls?

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

markc Newbie

Given that FRP does not wear an RS badge I wondered how is it received by "proper" RS owners?

The Ford Motorsport input and re-engineering of the FRP is far greater than some cars that wear the RS badge, RS1600i and the '90s RS2000 spring to mind, but do RS owners look down on it/us? Perhaps that it was the first "ST" car, even though it never carried that badge into production, pins it as halfway to/not quite RS machine?

Anyway I was hoping to get along to the National RS day in September and was wondering what sort of reception to expect :)

Cheers

Mark

eroom User avatar
RPOC Regular

I've always got the impression that they look down on it, don't know why. Maybe its the girlie image from the standard puma. I've owned quite a few RS's the last one being a Focus RS and imho the Racing Puma feels just as much an RS product as any of the 'proper' RS's.

Smudge User avatar
RPOC Regular

It seems to be to be quite mixed. The proper hardcore ford people seem to have respect for it, but the poser RS drivers dont really know what it is.

But who cares, our cars are far rarer...................... but slower :P
Matt
FRP #435

Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Smudge wrote:

Slower than the modern RS's but only in a straight line.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

jay frp401 RPOC Regular

Dogsbody wrote:
Smudge wrote:

Mate i like this !!! :)

eroom User avatar
RPOC Regular

jay frp401 wrote:
Dogsbody wrote:
Smudge wrote:

Mate i like this !!! :)

Yeah ill agree with that, the frp is slower in a straight line than my frs was but in the corners the frp reminds me of my frs and puts a smile back on my face :)

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

markc wrote:
was wondering what sort of reception to expect :)

Mark

well, not much to be honest...

People who don't know the FRP and havn't driven one can be quickly condemming of it's power output...

Racing Puma definantly needs to be driven to be appreciated.. :lol: :lol: for a lot of people peak BHP figure is everything. :? despite the rpm level needed to achieve it lol..

Just as in the same way.. in the car audio world people buy equipment based on RMS ratings which has nothing at all to do with quality of sound!.. :idea: 8)

:lol:

Dogsbody User avatar

If they had fitted a turbo when the FRP was developed the car would have been sensational.
Up there with the Rs500, Rs200 etc.
For 23k it should have go to match looks.
Graham

V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

When thinking and reading that the FRP is underpowered in BHP terms I immediately think of the Elise and its paltry 120bhp then think how quickly the scenery goes by when the Elise pedal is to the floor. Everything is relative.

Dogsbody User avatar

Ok, then power to weight. :wink:
If the frp was made of plastic, didn't have air con, power steering, electric windows, central locking, heated front and rear glass, sound proofing and carpets, rear seats it proverbially would be a bit quicker.
But who would buy a car like that???
Except a Lotus fan :lol:
If I had more power the limit I drive to would be that much quicker, so The FRP as it is suits me just fine.
It will be living on its rev limiter all day at Keevil on Monday to ring every last bit of BHP out of the engine, but that would be the case what ever the power output. :D
Graham

V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Graham you've left off the lack of sunvisors and no proper roof :D . All those negative refinements make me a very happy Lotus nut, still love FRUP as well though :lol: :lol:

lisafrp User avatar

Dogsbody wrote:
Ok, then power to weight. :wink:
If the frp was made of plastic, didn't have air con, power steering, electric windows, central locking, heated front and rear glass, sound proofing and carpets, rear seats it proverbially would be a bit quicker.
But who would buy a car like that???
Except a Lotus fan :lol:
If I had more power the limit I drive to would be that much quicker, so The FRP as it is suits me just fine.
It will be living on its rev limiter all day at Keevil on Monday to ring every last bit of BHP out of the engine, but that would be the case what ever the power output. :D

Our Exige has got air con and a heated front screen!! :P and the rear glass is heated by the engine ;)
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Dogsbody User avatar

You have other creature comforts too , like a roof ...
I would love an Exige , more of a racer and hard core than a Elise.
Graham

V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Exige next on my list Graham but need to swop 2 for 1 :D

red User avatar
RPOC Regular

Why does it matter anyway?

The FRP isn't an RS or an ST and won't ever be.

Let's stick with Ford Racing.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Blue3 RPOC Regular

Here here,

Anyone who looks down on the frp is only jealous that they dont own one of the most innovatively styled cars ford have ever produced and that broke new ground in modern automotive styling. At the time of release most people didnt even believe it was a ford !!

There is only one RS I would have in preference and that is an RS200 but I dont think my chequebook will ever be big enough for that.

We had the same issue when I was younger my dad had a frogeyed sprite and the healey 3000 drivers didnt think we were in the same league.

Simon

markc Newbie

red wrote:
Why does it matter anyway?

I posed the question because I was thinking of attending the National RS day and wondered if I, and the car, would be welcomed.

Anyone else thinking of going to this? Anyone been before? If they park up by model, as many car club events do, do I assume FRP's get chucked in with the "other fords" or worse "general parking" :lol:

Cheers

Mark

Return to FRP Q & A?