Board index FRP Q & A? FRP OBD2 ELM 327 Bluetooth Units?

FRP OBD2 ELM 327 Bluetooth Units?

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 pm
Vwraith Newbie

Hi All,

Thinking of buying one of the elm bluetooth units off E_bay to use with my iPhone. But, have a few questions;
1. Is the FRP OBD2 compliant?
2. Do these Elm units work with Iphone?
3. whats the best app to use with the unit?
4. Is it worth going down this path?

Thanks All.

V. :D

Post Tue May 10, 2011 9:53 am
Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

I bought one of these and tested it with my Android phone using an app called torque. Works really well giving fault codes and all sorts of live data. Well worth spending the £17 mine cost. I'm not sure if torque is available on the iphone but worth searching for.

Hope that helps.

Alex
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Tue May 10, 2011 1:38 pm
Vwraith Newbie

Thanks for the reposnse.

No Torque app for Iphone :( . the only app ive found thats free is "Rev Lite". But not sure whether this works with ELM unit ?!

might just bite the bullet!! :shock:

Post Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Alex_gregory_uk wrote:
I bought one of these and tested it with my Android phone using an app called torque. Works really well giving fault codes and all sorts of live data. Well worth spending the £17 mine cost. I'm not sure if torque is available on the iphone but worth searching for.

Hope that helps.

Alex

mm, ive just bought one off ebay and couldn't get it to talk to the ecu at all... :evil: :evil:

Post Tue May 10, 2011 8:30 pm
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

I have a cable version that I connect to my netbook and just use some software from there.

FRP is ODBII but it's not 100% compliant from memory i.e. won't support all of the functions some cars can.

I can read / clear faults and graph sensor data like speed, revs, temp, air flow. I can also test the O2 sensor I think but I can't remember now.

I didn't use it for ages but I got it back out this morning and graphed my drive to a customers site.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 pm
Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

El dude wrote:
mm, ive just bought one off ebay and couldn't get it to talk to the ecu at all... :evil: :evil:

When it's plugged in do you get all the lights on the device? My phone had some problems finding the device, then using the bluetooth code to connect it but once that was done it was all fine and no issues since.
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Wed May 11, 2011 8:37 am
Vwraith Newbie

Interesting to hear ppls experience with ELM units. But Im geting the impression its a bit hit and miss with these type of units!

Can anyone recommend any other units?

Return to FRP Q & A?