Board index FRP Q & A? 0 Mile FRP Engines

0 Mile FRP Engines

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 pm
Darrin Newbie

Hi Everyone.

I've been a member on here for a while, and joined back in late 2009/early 2010 when I purchased a Fiesta with an FRP engine.

With a history of several rebuilt Ford 1.6 Sigma-E engines, including performance ones of up to 160bhp, I'm looking to dive into rebuilding Puma and FRP engines.

I know the Ford Racing Puma enthusiasts take pride in their car, and in actual fact I am looking to get one myself. The general theme tends to be an endless list of Ford recipts, maintenance bills and silly (but understandable) amounts of polish. But with the FRP becoming a decade old now, some engines are reaching reasonably high miles.

With this in mind, would people be interested in rebuilt engines?

The general gist of the engine rebuild will be as follows.

Engine stripped, cleaned and painted
New Piston rings
New Big End Bearings
New Crank seals
New Cam seals
New Valve Stem seals
Valves reseated
All gaskets replaced
New Cambelt

Essentially, it will be a new engine.

The prices aren't yet confirmed, but an estimate for a rebuild on a supplied engine will be around £900. I can also supply engines and change them over if necessary. I should have confirmed prices within the next few weeks.

If you are interested, please let me know.

Thanks,

Darrin

Post Sun May 08, 2011 10:07 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Wow!..thats quite a service.. 8) 8)

where are you sourcing the parts..? the ford pistons rings are a lot of money i recall... :o

Rgds

Chris

Post Sun May 08, 2011 10:49 pm
Darrin Newbie

All parts are bought from Ford. The piston rings and big end bearings are independently made. They come in cheaper than Ford items but still work just as well.

Post Mon May 09, 2011 5:40 am
Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

I don't see a new oil pump or main bearings on your list.
Surly you wouldn't use the old pump?
Can you get it all balanced if required?
I know it takes a lot of the stresses out of a high revving engine..
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 am
Darrin Newbie

Good questions, thanks for asking.

The oil pumps on the Sigma engines are extremely reliable. They are not like the older Zetec engines where the pump cannot take revs above 7000RPM. The Pumps in the Sigma engines, including the 1.7 variants, can take a proven 8500 RPM.

Likewise with the main bearings. Its very uncommon to see the main bearings go, they are almost bullet proof. However, they can be replaced if required, but only recommended if the thrust bearing is worn and shows more than 1.5mm end float.

Balancing can be done, yes. It will however add some time to the turnover the engine, obviously.

Post Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 pm
ric377 Newbie

Where about are you located?

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Darrin Newbie

I live in Berkshire.

Some of the previous engine's I've built can be seen bellow.

Post Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm
lisafrp User avatar

Hi

Interesting post.

Is your company Shaw Speed? I can see their logo on one of the engines.

Are they Jenvey Throttle Bodies?

Cheers
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Tue May 10, 2011 3:34 pm
big boy al User avatar

i think thats a pretty good deal.

can see me getting that done in the next year or two :-).
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

Post Tue May 10, 2011 3:44 pm
Darrin Newbie

Hi Lisa.

No I am not a part of ShawSpeed but I have used a lot of ShawSpeed parts. The owner Jon is a very good guy and is helping me with my race tuned Duratec engine.

He played a large role in my development of knowledge.

Yes, all the above are Jenvey 42mm ITB's for the 1600 SE. I have also designed my own inlet system for my race engine.

Im undertaking a Puma rebuild next month, so can get prices up soon.

Post Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 pm
Hot Wheels RPOC Regular

I thought the 1.7 couldn’t be re bored due to the nickersill linings as the engine was originally a 1.6 bottom end bored out to the 1.7 hence taking it to the limit. :D
I Dream im on Vacation as I like the way that Sounds Its the Perfect Conversation for Me.

Puma Winner Top Gear Competition for best reflective paint finish and shine.
2009 detailing award santa pod.
2009 FRP prize winner castle combe

Post Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm
Darrin Newbie

Hot Wheels wrote:
I thought the 1.7 couldn’t be re bored due to the nickersill linings as the engine was originally a 1.6 bottom end bored out to the 1.7 hence taking it to the limit. :D

Again, a good question.

Nikasil is a very hard coating designed to reduce wear and protect the cylinder walls. For this reason, diamond cutter honing tools are required to properly hone/bore the cylinders.

In the case of changing the piston rings, what you are looking for is to deglaze the bores, instead of actually honing/boring it. This can be done with anything from scotch-brite to Flex-hone tools. In these instances, the Nikasil is not physically effected. Instead, the bores have a matte finish to them with a cross hatch effect to the cylinder walls. This is enough to allow the piston rings to bed in.

Even so, it is only recommended that honing Nikasil bores should be performed if heavily glazed where the purpose is to literally deglaze them.

With all this taken into account, Im told the Puma engines do not have Nikasil lined cylinders. Instead, just steel liners. This comes from engine builders I have spoken to. I'll make my own judgements when I take a Puma engine apart next month, but either way they can definately be rebuilt.

I hope that answers your question

Post Tue May 10, 2011 11:30 pm
lisafrp User avatar

Darrin wrote:
Hi Lisa.

No I am not a part of ShawSpeed but I have used a lot of ShawSpeed parts. The owner Jon is a very good guy and is helping me with my race tuned Duratec engine.

He played a large role in my development of knowledge.

Yes, all the above are Jenvey 42mm ITB's for the 1600 SE. I have also designed my own inlet system for my race engine.

Im undertaking a Puma rebuild next month, so can get prices up soon.

Cool :) We looked at Shawspeed when we were going to build a race puma, we luckily found an Ex Puma Cup Car for sale which already had a 1600 engine in it tuned by Connaught.

I'd be interested to hear more about your inlet system.

Our engine below

cheers
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Wed May 11, 2011 5:27 am
Xrion Newbie

Caterham used the 1600SE before going over to the cosworth engines :)

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product. ... oduct=3507

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

The engine is Nikasil lined.

I had an engine builder look over my old bottom end when one of the bearings failed.

His advise was that re-lining them on the alloy block could cause it to warp and that there's not a whole lot of material to attach new liners to since it's already been rebored.

I didn't fancy being a guiney pig so opted for a second hand bottom end.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 pm
Hot Wheels RPOC Regular

Darrin wrote:
Hot Wheels wrote:

Again, a good question.

Im told the Puma engines do not have Nikasil lined cylinders. Instead, just steel liners. This comes from engine builders I have spoken to. I'll make my own judgements when I take a Puma engine apart next month, but either way they can definately be rebuilt.

I hope that answers your question

I have spoken to someone in the local engine refurb shop near me and they say that the 1.7 had the Nikasil lined cylinders due to the block being bored out to the limit if you like cheers.
I Dream im on Vacation as I like the way that Sounds Its the Perfect Conversation for Me.

Post Thu May 12, 2011 9:51 am
Darrin Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I've enquired about it and you all are right, they are.

This will not effect the rebuild of them though.

Prices are confirmed. If you are interested, please PM me and I'll get prices to you depending on what you would like.

Post Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am
Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

How long is the turn around on this as I live in York so quite a distance to get to you.

Cheers

Alex
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Fri May 13, 2011 8:47 pm
Hot Wheels RPOC Regular

Here is a question for you does the V,C,T pully go back to a sertain position when the engine is switched of { well i am shure that is what they were refering to } any ideas as this guy at work is replacing the cams on his 1.7 cheers. :?:

Post Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 pm
Darrin Newbie

The VCT system is pressurised oil, thus if the engine isn't running then there won't be any pressure. So yes, it does.

In terms of timing them up, time them up as you would a 1.6 - Lock the crank at TDC and lock the cams. You will notice that when turning the engine over by hand, the inlet pulley will move forward apon turning and then slip back slightly, as the oil gallaries in the pulley are not filled.

Return to FRP Q & A?