Board index FRP Q & A? Cylinder Heads, Replacement Air Intake systems & ITBs

Cylinder Heads, Replacement Air Intake systems & ITBs

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

ex248owner Newbie

It must be the way I am searching but I can't find anything on this site yet! It keeps saying "topic does not exist" when I search for things and click on the results....

Anyway, Hi! I used to own FRP 248 and I am thinking about dabbling again, but from experience the FRP needs more power! :-) I've checked out Pumaspeed.co.uk, and found their fully ported cylinder head:
http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=480
I wondered if anyone here has had their head worked on, and could tell me what benefits this brings to the FRP experience?

Other than that, my starting point would be a K&N (or similar, feel free to post recommendations) air intake and a decat pipe before attempting some individual throttle bodies! I have heard that that is not very beneficial on the 100 engine.... acan anyone confirm that?

Also, since selling up, I have noticed a lot of owners have replaced the old exhaust system, was it that bad? Do the Milteks fart and pop like the original??!! And what about the replacement bushes? Is this an expensive job?

With Thanks!

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:50 pm
L8FRP User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

Hi and welcome to the site. The reason most of the posts you are trying to access are protected, you can gain full access to the forum by simply joining RPOC.

I myself looked into heads a few months ago and found a very good company called CNC heads who offer a complete package for around £2500 and brings the FRP up to around if not just over 200bhp. With regards to the exhaust as you may know the original was made in mild steel and after 7years has probably corroded, ford prices are just to high to warrant going with mild steel when a stainless equivalent is allot cheaper!

The bushes again probably are worn out about now and aren’t that pricey to swap, it’s just whether you want up rated or standard parts. Many owners go for polybush and say they compliment the car, but others say it makes the ride stiffer. It’s all down to personal preference.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:54 pm
W4FRP User avatar
RPOC Regular

Hi Ex248 - welcome along

I have a Miltek on my FRP and although it is a slightly deeper sound, it still farts and pops like it should. I have also run this with a decat pipe and the difference is noticeable but not drastic !!

Happy hunting !

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:37 pm
FRP252 User avatar
RPOC Regular

hi there.
when i got 252, it needed a new exhaust and manifold so got the miltex full system along with the decat pipe, i think it makes a difference, still makes all the right sounds and if anything even enhances them :D
i have a k and n filter and will admit i noticed a difference but have been told since that theres no point, but all to there own.
ill happily reconmend getting denso iridium spark plugs and magnecor leads, feels a lot smoother.
would love to get it on a rolling road now to see if all of it has made a differenc though, or if its still the same.
Want a REAL Carbon Fibre Splitter for your FRP? PM me for details
Dan

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:32 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

L8FRP wrote:
I myself looked into heads a few months ago and found a very good company called CNC heads who offer a complete package for around £2500 and brings the FRP up to around if not just over 200bhp.

mm... me thinks the engine must be screaming away at 8k rpm + to get to this kind of figure....

we're still wating for somone to be the ginuea pig on this one and verify the conversion..... :?

no takers yet..??

:twisted:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:40 pm
L8FRP User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

well......ive been thinking about this one long and hard, and if all goess well in getting a new job i should be in a position to do it in around 4 months time 8)

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 pm
Ed RPOC Enthusiast

If you need more power, commision a Turby Industries Turbo installation ;)
Ed.
Ex-FRP449

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:12 am
ex248owner Newbie

Ed, supercharging and turbocharging are all fine ways of getting more power from your engine, but I am old school: Naturally Aspirated all the way...more precise throttle balance and response.

L8FRP, £2500 for the head work sounds expensive when Pumaspeed offer a similar service for around £950 all in... be interested to hear what work CNC do extra

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:27 pm
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Hi,

It's probably not worth removing the cat, there is a free flowing one in there already, so wouldn't make that much difference, and is a requirement for MOT.

A replacement K&N would probably be more beneficial than a cone filter as you already have a cold air feed and air box.

I have looked into the throttle body route, but keep spending all my money sprinting our very quick Turbo Puma (280bhp), so have never got around to it. If you do go for throttle bodies you need to find someone who can map the engine properly otherwise it'll end up a bodge job!

I've also looked into supercharging, but again keep spending my money, both seem like a good option, and I can also vouch for the turbo - that blows your head away ;) :)

Make sure you research throughly who is going to map the engine and what engine management you are going to go for, before getting the work done.
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:14 pm
L8FRP User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

ex248owner wrote:
Ed, supercharging and turbocharging are all fine ways of getting more power from your engine, but I am old school: Naturally Aspirated all the way...more precise throttle balance and response.

L8FRP, £2500 for the head work sounds expensive when Pumaspeed offer a similar service for around £950 all in... be interested to hear what work CNC do extra

Im not sure what package pumaspeed offer, but cnc heads is run by Ric Wood and guarantees a stable engine that has been professionally mapped with dreamscience. Here is the site CNC Heads

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

looks impressive... :)

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:34 pm
Turby Newbie

It would be interesting to see what parts come in the £2,500 kit. To get that sort of power, you'd need to rev way above 8,000 rpm, which implies it would need rods, crank, pistons, throttle bodies, cams and ECU work. Can't think it would be very nice on the road either...

Keep us informed of progress :)

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:57 pm
jacko RPOC Regular

been speaking to my engine builder & without looking at it hes quoted £600 to flow the head barring any issues. hes ruddy good too, last head i had off him turned my last car into beast!!!

add £100 for a head gasket......

(plus labour & timing if your not diy...)

Return to FRP Q & A?