Board index FRP Q & A? Exhaust time!

Exhaust time!

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 am
gally Newbie

So was having a look underneath 467 yesterday and the manifold is a little dented from the snow and ice, also quite rusty, I understand Matt spent a lot of money at Ford to have it replaced not long ago aswell!

Quite gutted to see it in quite poor condition anyway what are my options for a full system, retaining the tailpipe of course.

Looked on PB and as thought they are expensive, any other options except a custom made one, I fear i'd end up with a droany car instead of the perfect balance I have just now.

Posted on PP aswell! :)

Thanks Chaps!

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:22 pm
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

My mate just bought one of these, @ £179 delivered its a bit of a bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FIESTA-PUMA- ... _527wt_694

For an exhaust system why not try somewhere like LongLife, check Lisas race car build: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1966&p=20834#p20834

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:48 pm
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

That is a bit of a bargain, shame I didn't see that before we had the Longlife fitted as I don't think we have a stainless manifold on the race car :( I'll bear that in mind for the future tho.
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:14 pm
gally Newbie

Thanks guys, link didn't work for Lisa's.

I'm also not trying to scrimp here, I spend what needs spent but just looking at options, the Zetec-s idea, would any Zetec-s exhaust work?

Also that one seems a little cheap? Don't want to lose the FRP character, overun crackling especially. Also notice a lot of people complain about the heat shield when fitting new Mani's, i'd like to keep mine in position, has anyone had experience with any non oe Mani?

I'm guessing most exhausts would mean welding the OE tailpipe on myself?

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 pm
Dogsbody User avatar

PB do a very good copy of the original exhaust in stainless.
A bit on the loud side though.
I'm normally around 93Db at 4500 RPM when checked, once as high as 97.
Considerably louder at full throttle near the rev limiter :wink:

That stainless manifold looks a good buy.
If I didn't have a OE one from the NCC in the shed as a spare, I would be tempted.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 am
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Photos of the eBay unit that my mate just received, even comes with gaskets (all be it cheap ones) 8)

If I wasn't already running a full stainless setup I would be getting one, looks to be very well made and has the fixings for the heat shield. The only observation is the different mounting at the midpipe flange, which isn't domed as per the OE setup. The current plan is to hack the stub pipe off, flat join the flange and incorporate a flexi in the mid pipe; i'll be fitting it in a few weeks so will perhaps get some pictures :D

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 6.JPG

photo 7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:56 am
gally Newbie

If you could mate that would be grand, it looks very very good, doesn't seem too much hassle to modify and fit to be fair.

I will look into this and maybe replace the cat-back at a later date, on a side note the mani looks an absolute mare to fit.

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am
gally Newbie

Just to add, I was really hoping to be able to purchase a janspeed exhaust for the FRP as their stuff has always been top quality as far as i'm concerned.

I noticed this upon a google seach and also a thread from here popped up, anyone know anything more?

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/39 ... ss945.html

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:35 pm
lisafrp User avatar

A few years back the club spoke to Janspeed and asked them to make up a batch of FRP exhaust systems in Stainless Steel as they made the original FRP systems. These systems had the FRP tailpipe also fitted to them. I know of a Janspeed back box that was only fitted for a short while that I think is for sale.

I presume this is what they are now making for the FRP?
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:36 pm
gally Newbie

Yeah i'm really wanting a Janspeed one Lisa, while retaining orginality but also not Ford quality as I can clearly see how bad the corrosion is on my OE Manifold.

How much will it be 2nd hand?

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:18 am
lisafrp User avatar

I'll ask the owners how much, its sitting in my garage at the moment as we were going to borrow it for the race car, didn't need to in the end!
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 pm
gally Newbie

Ah could definitely be an option Lisa thank you. Is it a Cat back system or full system?

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:04 am
lisafrp User avatar

It's just the back box, not including Cat pipe or manifold.
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

gally wrote:
I was really hoping to be able to purchase a janspeed exhaust for the FRP as their stuff has always been top quality as far as i'm concerned.

lol.. if only that were true...

Stevie Wonder welded mine up for sure!.. :evil: :evil:

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:49 pm
gally Newbie

Ha! I could believe that!

Lisa did you get a price, would it really sound any different to OE?

Return to FRP Q & A?