Board index FRP Q & A? Buying advice - FRP #28

Buying advice - FRP #28

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:31 pm
Boost Daddy Newbie

Hi Guys

Newbie here and after some buying advice / opinions on FRP 28 that I went and viewed today, car advert - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Always liked FRP's and as this one came up local to me and I'm currently car less thought I'd go and check it out, it's got a screen price of £6000. Good points were it's had one owner from new, 51k, lsd fitted and when looking in the boot there was a box of original suspension dampers. Apparantly the owner had had them swapped with some different one's that were supplied by Ford themsleves and were meant to be abit firmer and better for trackdays.

Bad points were rusty rear arches, worn steering wheel, stone chipped front end, worn drivers seat and also the paint on both front arches has all bubbled up all the way around the edge - I don't think this can be rust though as the front wings are aluminum? Looked pretty bad anyway. Brake callipers and disc's very scruffy. I still like the car and was obviously put of by all these things so never bothered with a test drive. What I would like to know is how much do you think it may cost to have these things rectifed? As said I still like the car but need to weigh up how much it may need spending on it and how much I'd have to try and haggle off! Any help or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:44 pm
Mogsmex User avatar
RPOC Regular

brakes can easily cost over a 1000 pounds, more so if the callipers are bad , steering wheels unavailable for some time now, only chance would be to get a puma steerring wheel (that ones got a Fiesta wheel on it) and get some of the alcantara from pumabuild and get it retrimmed

dampers sound like they could be the RPJ damper worth dropping a pm to Ed as he may know the car and be able to fill you in especially as it's only got 1 owner should be easy to track

sometimes the paint does react to the alliminium on the front wings, means cheap resprays generally ?

seats - same as steering wheel it;s get some alcantara and get them recovered

arch's depends really on how bad they are, but you need to budget about 500 to get both rear qtrs done to a good standard, you'll be able to get them done a lot cheaper but you get what you pay for with paint

looking at the pics, looks like it has a later dashboad in it ?? I would ask why ?

it should have had at least 1 cambelt by now, make sure it has or budget about 300 for that

mileage means nothing on these cars, it's maintenance all the way :)

good luck and welcome to RPOC 8)

Cheers Glyn Image
Ex FRP 142, Ex # 338, Ex # 191.......back for more with FMC 05 :roll:

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Looks like it's got a pair of my mudflaps on there... :D they must have been on there some time if so as i havn't sold any for a few years now...

other than that, it's not one that iv'e worked on.... so no info from me i'm afraid...

:lol:

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 am
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Mogsmex wrote:
looking at the pics, looks like it has a later dashboad in it ?? I would ask why ?

What makes you say that, the mix and match colours? Think that might just be sun damage, I noticed a few of my trim parts are a slightly different shade. This does look worse though :?

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 am
Boost Daddy Newbie

Thanks for the welcome and also the advice guys.

The front mud flaps have been painted blue and it's all started flaking off and looks very messy, to be fair I never saw any dents on the car - I think it's just a car someones bought and used it every day as opposed to being a weekend toy etc.

Hmmm gona go and have another look today and then add the cost sort to it out and go from there, thanks again

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:07 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

I have 0027 and love it to bits, however I have spent £2k so far and still going to bring it up to mint.

You would be surprised how well the alcantara can come up, I use oxyaction carpet cleaner then gently dabbed it (not rubbed) with a moist cloth, came up like new and looked just like this one beforehand.

All I would say is dont rush into it there are some great buys out there and I looked at 4 before I bought mine.

Simon

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 am
Graham #281 User avatar

Sounds like it might have RPJ dampers on it, which is a bonus if you're going track it.

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:17 am
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:35 pm
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

That looks like Paul Arnolds old FRP, I didn't know he had sold it :( He went to Le Mans with us in 2000.
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:49 pm
Ed RPOC Enthusiast

Yep, that's Paul Arnold's old FRP.

The spare dampers are RPJ's - he bought a set after they were revealed at Boreham 2003.

Good project basis for refurbishment, though as Glyn says, potentially some big spending to be done.
Ed.
Ex-FRP449

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:12 am
Xrion Newbie

"Front Fog Lamps" say what? thats news to me! :P

Return to FRP Q & A?