Board index FRP Q & A? Tyres and such...The best and the best budget option

Tyres and such...The best and the best budget option

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

bonnietiler RPOC Regular

So, I now have 2 really nice front alloys...ta Lisa...I have refinished them in Moondust Silver and am Lacquering them sometime soon, when I can shift that family of Eskimo currently squatting in my garage!
These new wheels will reside on the front and I will be in the market for a pair of tyres now then what are the opinions on a Money no object type tyre £100+ I spose and....assuming that my Mastercard bill is truly hideous...is there a budget alternative?
I always quite liked the Goodyear F1 on the old 24v Cossie Scorp, but that really is a bus and maybe not as suited to a Puma?
Cheers
Bonnietiler

Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

Just for a comparison I bought four Toyo Proxes T1-R's about a month ago at £67 a corner. Weather hasn't been good enough to test them, but no issues with them in the cold and wet so far.
Ex FRP #358 owner

Mogsmex User avatar
RPOC Regular

thread I started on the same subject here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=305

I personally love parada's and will be buying another set soon for a brand new set of wheels I have waiting in the wings

Cheers Glyn Image
Ex FRP 142, Ex # 338, Ex # 191.......back for more with FMC 05 :roll:

big boy al User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

I personally use michellin pilot sport excaltos, I've tried four types of tyre on my Frp and these are the best tyre I've fitted to any car.

But there is a big downfall they are £160 plus each corner, but you get what you pay for I suppose. And seen as the Frp is all about handling I want the best :).

The toyos are great tyres but very soft I got through a set of fronts in less than 5000 miles but I drive hard.and they have soft side Walls I've got pictures of mine at the nurburgring and the side wall looks like its bending.

Parades are great for track work and great in the summer, you just have to take it easy in the wet. They still work but not the best.

People like the f1's and swear by them but I didn't like the feel of them on my Frp.
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

lisafrp User avatar

T1-R's for me, best budget tyre around, but not budget quality/grip, lots of people in motorsport swear by them as a wet weather tyre.
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Dogsbody User avatar

Just been trawling through Ebay looking for some part worn 888's , they don't do the 215 size, but I'm after 205-40-17 which will do for my spare set of wheels.
Failing that do I just go for a budget tyres like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120665387349&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT which are half the price of TR1's, other forums rate them as the best budgets going.
I only want them for Dry trackdays, and If I book one that's wet, I will just leave the TR1's on the car that day.
I took about 3mm of rubber off the tyres in 100 miles at a trackday.
Or do I just buy two more TR1's and fit the front and leave nearly bald P Zero's on the back?
The other problem is If I fit new tyres, they will melt terribly until the tread gets lower.

Anyone know if they do a slick about 215-40-17 size :D
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

If you are interested I've got four part worn Parada's that I have just taken off my car. I didn't realise how much tread they've still got on them but decided T1-R's were better for this weather and I'm just going to leave them on the car.
Ex FRP #358 owner

lisafrp User avatar

Remember your tyres are the only contact patch holding the car on the ground, so worth paying for R888's or Yokohama A048R's if you want proper grip on track, I think there are also Dunlop DZ03G but I have never used these so can't comment what they are like.

R888's are for shorter stints whereas 48R's last over a distance, so would be better suited to trackdays, they are similar prices now as R888's have gone up in price over the past 6 months.

Steve Harkness Tyres might be able to do you a good deal on a set of 4 and are local in Yate
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Dogsbody User avatar

Thanks Lisa, I will drop him a line once I have heard back from a contact I made in the Avon and while ago.

Alex, I have PM'ed you about your Parada's :shock: I'm sure I could use them for DRY track days.

My intention is to have the 4 spare wheels I have refurbished and done Silver.
With tyres on just for shows and trackdays.
My Satin black wheels shod with TR1's are for normal everyday use.
Graham

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

If your using the car mainly on dry days... Perada's are insanely grippy for the money... :D

Michelin Pilot Exalto is unbeatable as an all rounder i would say... simply fantastic in all conditions.. (maybe not ice tho..lol)

These are worth a look too i think... very grippy..iv#e got a pair of these on my spares... :D
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s684p4068

8)

big boy al User avatar

ooh only £85 each for the track car, might try them next id love some semi slicks but there just too much money.
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

Graham #281 User avatar

I was running Goodyear Eagle F1's on a very wet trackday in November and they weren't too good.

Parada's are great in the all but the wettest conditions and i've even run them in the recent snow and ice without too much drama. They'd be my recommendation. Toyo Proxes T1-R's seem to be better in the very wet though judging by how many people were using them on the wet trackday.

The Yokohama Advan AD08 might be a good fast road / occasional trackday choice but they're twice the price of Parada's and doubt they're twice as good! Evo magazine did a test on them recently.

ric377 Newbie

Planning on Avon ZZ3's once these BFGoodrichs on the front are finished. £90 a corner, boss at the garage swears by them.

Dogsbody User avatar

The Avon factory is a mile down the road from me, where all the tyres are made.
Unfortunately you can't buy direct from the factory at discount prices :cry:
Graham

mikefrp0246 Newbie

Wud the 205 on standee puma wheels fit? Heard slot of good things with r888 but they are the wrong size. Would that matter?

Mogsmex User avatar
RPOC Regular

when I bought 338 it had focus RS wheels on it :roll: but came with FRP wheels with 205 888's on,

they looked crap and stretched

imho :mrgreen:

Cheers Glyn Image
Ex FRP 142, Ex # 338, Ex # 191.......back for more with FMC 05 :roll:

Dogsbody User avatar

Don't suppose you still have the tyres Glyn?
I know a Good Tyre Courier company :lol:
Graham

mikefrp0246 wrote:
Wud the 205 on standee puma wheels fit? Heard slot of good things with r888 but they are the wrong size. Would that matter?

is use 205 on my spare front ones...works fine :D

bonnietiler RPOC Regular

Right then...I can get Goodyear F1's for around £95 each, and I'm in process of negotiating on some Toyo's, but they look like being around £75 each. Now I'm not down to £40 on two tyres, am I reading correctly that Toyo's are preferred to Goodyears by some, regardless of price?
I had a set of Toyo's on an old 4x4 2.8 Sierra and they sort of "bulged" in the sidewall dept..then wore out at a pacy rate, I'm not actually that bothered about wear rates either to be honest as the car won't be my daily driver.

the Toyo's feel very light too... suspect there's nothing much in the sidewalls.. :? never liked them on the frp, they just literally collapse on cornering..

your choice tho.. :lol:

Next

Return to FRP Q & A?