Board index FRP Q & A? frp splitter

frp splitter

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:08 pm
crispy1980 Newbie

my mate has damaged his splitter recently after hitting a rabbit. there is a sizeable chunk missing from the front center. my question is this, is it possible to fix the splitters ? bear in mind he doesnt have the missing piece.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:16 pm
Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

It's only fibre glass so can be repaired.
I snapped the side bit off mine last year clipping a lump of ice at the side of the road. :wink:
Just taped the top to roughly the right shape and used fibre glass bridging filler (hairy Gob) to rebuild it.
Ok so it doesn't look exactly the right colour as I used satin black to paint.
But I don't want to fit the brand new one I have in the loft as I use the car all year and expect I will damage it. (Sods Law)
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:26 pm
crispy1980 Newbie

dont know what the difference is but my mates looks like carbon fibre? dont know if its real or not.

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 pm
L8FRP User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

FRP's as standard have plastic carbon fibre lookalikes 8)

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 pm
crispy1980 Newbie

may try to fibreglass it and then wrap it in some fake carbon stuff.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:08 pm
coopersmotors Newbie

On subject -
Would anyone out there be interested in a light-weight 100% carbon/carbon composite front splitter? (Foam core, no GRP). I have acquired a contact in the composites industry who has started producing components to order. Techniques include wet lay up, vacuum infusion, & vacuum pre preg heat cure. Just testing the water at the mo to see if we have any interest.
See my article on carbon composites.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 pm
Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

I'd be interested price dependant. Could even collect it since I'm in Pickering a lot since the other halfs parents have a B&B there :)

Alex
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:48 pm
Dogsbody User avatar

We have had two group buys of splitter so far, Looks like Dan did the last one.
http://www.rpoc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1308
Graham

Post Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 am
coopersmotors Newbie

Hi Dogsbody, I'm afraid I'm out of luck there, apparently I'm not authorized to view that forum. Maybe cos I'm not a paid up member ? Who knows. Anyway what's the score with member subs. Latest I've read is :-
RPOC Memberships
by lisafrp » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 pm
Please check back for more details on Membership to the RPOC in the future.
Note the date on that post is well over a year ago.
As for subject & for my own curiosity, my next step is to cost out materials to make myself a splitter, some of which are likely to be one off costs for tools, equipment, molding materials, non consumables. - Keeps me out of the pub!

Post Tue May 01, 2012 8:28 am
Dogsbody User avatar

PM sent with link to other Puma forum.
All the FRP owners are on there as opposed to the ones who joined before this forum ceased to be.
Graham

Post Tue May 01, 2012 1:32 pm
lisafrp User avatar

coopersmotors wrote:
Hi Dogsbody, I'm afraid I'm out of luck there, apparently I'm not authorized to view that forum. Maybe cos I'm not a paid up member ? Who knows. Anyway what's the score with member subs. Latest I've read is :-
RPOC Memberships
by lisafrp » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 pm
Please check back for more details on Membership to the RPOC in the future.
Note the date on that post is well over a year ago.
As for subject & for my own curiosity, my next step is to cost out materials to make myself a splitter, some of which are likely to be one off costs for tools, equipment, molding materials, non consumables. - Keeps me out of the pub!

The memberships are slowly going back online, we are currently looking for a new Membership Secretary (which I think we have found :)), so memberships will be back up and running full swing very soon. I am briefly looking after memberships from now until that time, so if you would like to become a full member please see the details here:

http://www.rpoc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1070

cheers
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Thu May 24, 2012 9:08 pm
coopersmotors Newbie

Latest on subject. Made contact with a good composite materials supplier who, once they have their new catalog & price list in print, (due now) are sending me a copy, which will enable me to cost out materials. Progress is a little slow at the mo.

Return to FRP Q & A?