Board index FRP Q & A? few questions

few questions

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:08 pm
Theheff Newbie

a few questions i figured would be better on one thread than many.

what is a good price to have the rear arches derusted? (made up word, patent pending and copyrighted).

what are peoples thoughts on red calipers when i have them done by eldude?

what is the best paint to use on the engine cover and the best way to do it?

anyone ever had their inlet manifold powder coated? any pictures and can they leave parts uncoated or do them different colours or is it all or nothing.

How much heat wrap do you need to wrap the exhaust manifold. and does it need prepping first?

cheers

paul

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm
racingpuma1982 RPOC Regular

In my opinion the best way to add value to these cars is to keep them mint and standard. Silly things like powder coating the inlet manifold will in my opinion put people off buying if you ever come to sell the car. If your on about the plenum they are extremely rare now so best kept in original condition. The same with the engine cover, they are FRP specific so best left in its original condition. Just my opinion though, everyone's different. :)

Having the rear arches 'derusted' and painted is a worthwhile job costing anything between £300-£500+ depending on who's doing it and how far they go. I.e Cutting out the rust patches and welding in new steel will cost more than just sanding them back and treating them.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:58 pm
Theheff Newbie

not going to do anything distasteful, i promise. after pictures really so ican get an idea of what it will look like.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:35 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

personally i would just clean up the inlet with a scotch brite pad.. 8) 8) surely there must be more pressing issues with a 10 year old car... :lol:

As for the manifold... the only process worth getting done to that is a proper ceramic coating... anything else is a waste of time and money.... it is very expensive tho..!! :)

Zircotec is the company.. 8)

Regards

Chris

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm
Theheff Newbie

not really, that i can see anyway, ill find out more on friday but apart from the rusty rear arches and the idle pulley/belt and the brakes that you are doing for me in the new year there is nothing apparent. its been really well looked after.

im only toying with ideas for the inlet and engine bay cosmetics. think im going to go for the exhaust manifold wrap in the summer, unless a decent price comes from a group buy on ceramic coating

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:25 pm
Graham #281 User avatar

There's something in this month's Evo magazine on ceramic coating the manifolds ... cost them about £600 on a TVR Griffith.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm
fergie RPOC Regular

what is a good price to have the rear arches derusted? (made up word, patent pending and copyrighted).

as said anything up to 600 but you get what you pay for

what are peoples thoughts on red calipers when i have them done by eldude?

i think any colour is good and adds your own stamp on the car i have white calipers

what is the best paint to use on the engine cover and the best way to do it?

any decent paint will do.

anyone ever had their inlet manifold powder coated? any pictures and can they leave parts uncoated or do them different colours or is it all or nothing.

there a few fiestas with powder coated manifolds and tbh i think it looks gash! get it sprayed of polished if anything.

How much heat wrap do you need to wrap the exhaust manifold. and does it need prepping first?

dont have a clue about this one!

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:01 pm
dchantry User avatar

just had my arches done. Stripped, patched, welded, painted and sealed and the whole lot cost £500. Was worth it as there was considerable rust around the Sill and a couple of previous bodged repairs were re-done correctlyy.

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:51 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Where did you go for that please?

I have red calipers.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Return to FRP Q & A?