Board index FRP Q & A? Stonguard Temples or dimension anyone?

Stonguard Temples or dimension anyone?

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 pm
ninja_alex User avatar

I have recently purchased a FRP and it is in mint condition. I am going to be using it daily and would like to protect the rear arches from stones. I have seen the genuine arch protectors going on eBay for silly money and would like some carbon ones anyway.
Does anyone have some they could draw round or ideally does anyone have a DXF file or CAD drawing of the stoneguards? If I was to get some laser cut from 3M Di-Noc carbon fibre film would anyone else be interested?

Alex

speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

The biggest rust risk is not chips on the outside but rust coming through from the inside.
Have a read of Rusty and Holy for an idea of where.
You can strip the interior out at the back and get spraying in there right down the arches and can do all the sills through the wiring clips with a rust inhibitor.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Take a trip to 'Paintsheild' the film they do is fantastic... covers the rear quarters really well right up to the swaige line...

not cheap but well worth it on the rears... 8)

spikebmth RPOC Enthusiast

El dude wrote:
Take a trip to 'Paintsheild' the film they do is fantastic... covers the rear quarters really well right up to the swaige line...

not cheap but well worth it on the rears... 8)

+1 on this...

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

I have a contact who can get you a roll of the protection sheeting at a fraction of the cost if you fancy having a go yourself?

Drop me a PM if you want the info.

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

also there is a guy on ebay selling the 3m stuff.... not easy to fit tho :?

id did my flaps and the amount of bubbling i had was unreal... :oops: :lol:

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 pm
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

The 3M stuff is quite pricey and difficult to fit due to its thickness. The stuff I have been using @ work is thinner and designed to protect the paintwork on trial bikes! Its very easy to apply with the assistance of a heat-gun.

Have you seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fliquibzhQ

Skip to 1m38s, they literally have the sheet heated to the point its like a gooey layer, skilful stuff!

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 pm
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Back on topic, if anyone has some unfitted arch protection sheets and can take a picture of them with a scale reference, I can get some made up cut ready to fit cheap as chips for you all 8)

Did anyone buy one of the genuine 'Ford Racing' kits that the NCC were flogging?
FRP Arch Protect.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

I have a set

But right now I am busy trying to sort my own mess out, but I do have them and could get to them later on (stored away somewhere).

Can I just say that Paintshield and the like makes sod all difference to the rust coming through from the inside.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 pm

speedline wrote:
I have a set

But right now I am busy trying to sort my own mess out, but I do have them and could get to them later on (stored away somewhere).

Can I just say that Paintshield and the like makes sod all difference to the rust coming through from the inside.

This is very true, it will only protect the external paint from stone chips.

It is also worth while noting that most films can only be cleaned with non-petroleum based products, basically just a good quality wax, such as dodo juice, no magilars products!

Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

BurfyBoy wrote:
Back on topic, if anyone has some unfitted arch protection sheets and can take a picture of them with a scale reference, I can get some made up cut ready to fit cheap as chips for you all 8)

FRP Arch Protect.JPG

I won't bother trying to buy a kit then Rob, As yours will be as Cheap as Chips :D
The NCC were selling them for £17 odd in the original buy.

I did strike up a deal with Alan, who has quite a few of the kits, for more than that, but considerably less than they are selling for on Ebay.
Just not got the funds or the time to take him up on it at the Mo :wink:
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:06 am
Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

I've got a set in the boot of my car at the moment, but the girlfriends got the car. I'll try and sort some photos etc out tomorrow for you and some measurements.
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:02 am

It is worth noting also, that the current paintsheild rear arch kit covers a much larger area, and follows the natural lines on the panel, when compared to the Ford FRP version.

Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

A pleasant surprise, I have some too now.
I forgot I had set Auction Sniper up for the current ones on EBay.

£36 + P&P, not too bad :wink:

If you don't have full dimensions by the time they arrive, I will give them to you Rob.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Return to FRP Q & A?