Board index FRP Q & A? Looking to buy - how to identify as genuine FRP

Looking to buy - how to identify as genuine FRP

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

fraz Newbie

Hi all looking to buy an FRP - how can i verify it's the real deal - it has all the right bits etc - but when I hpi checked and spoke to local ford garage it's showing as PUMA 1.7 on both - no mention of the FRP is this usual. Also when i checked thru previous MOT online it states under CHANGE OF VEHICLE DETAILS "FORD / PUMA 1.7 16V" previously recorded as just "FORD/PUMA". Whilst im on here and assuming i buy it are there any good garages to change cambelt in the South West area and how much would a refurb or replacememt steering wheel set me back as the current one has worn alcantara. Thanks for any help Fraz

Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

All the FRP's come back as 1.7's from DVLA.
The manifold number should be under 500.
The cars are very hard to fake as there is so much cost involved.
If you post the manifold number in here, I expect someone will know something about it.

I see your in the South West. The cars not in Westbury is it?

there's a buyers guide on here somewhere I think :?

Allon White sports cars are THE people to retrim steering wheels, but you need to supply the Alcantara. Around £120 plus postage.
If your local to me, my local Ford dealer have the FRP cam belt tool.
Tremona in Bournemouth are about the best FRP garage in the South.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

FRP replica's are VERY few and far between tbh... the parts to do the conversion all round, including the faf with the hubs and knuckles etc etc is just not worth it....

spend more to get a good one.. :wink:

fraz Newbie

thanks for the replies folks. I'm certain it is an FRP - like you say it's a hard car to fake. How much would the ford garage in Bournmouth charge for a Cambelt change roughly? regards fraz

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

may be worth doing the water pump too and maybe idle pulley, tensioner pulley etc etc...

definatly change the rocker cover gasget...it never re-uses very well... even new ones still need a little care in fitting correctly to ensure a good seal all around...

probably looking at £2-300ish all in

Dogsbody User avatar

Turns out Fraz is only about 5 miles away from me, so he might as well use the garage who did mine and doing MikeB's rally car with FRP cams.
They did my water pump at the same time :wink:
Graham

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Dogsbody wrote:
Turns out Fraz is only about 5 miles away from me, so he might as well use the garage who did mine and doing MikeB's rally car with FRP cams.

Maybe you should go with Fraz and advise him when looking at the car :wink:

Dogsbody User avatar

Could do but he has agreed to buy it, I think it's "cheap" for a FRP anyway.

If he has it by next weekend, I have suggested he Email or PM's Ed about RS day, next Saturday.
Graham

speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Not every garage can change the cam belt, the FRP uses a different timing tool to the standard 1.7, so that garage in Bournemouth may well have stuffed it up.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

fraz Newbie

speedline - i don't understand your reply. Are you saying not to use tremona ford because they haven't got the right tool for the job?

big boy al User avatar

Tremona have the correct tool as i helped them get it ;-).
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

Dogsbody User avatar

No I think Kate has got her wires crossed.

Tremona are about the best FRP place in the country, but if it's just a cam belt and service.
Nortree in Melksham have the tool. they got it for when they did my cam belt.
In fact they had to rebuild the top end of my engine after I had a bit of a "Whoopsie" and missed a gear.
The look after both of these.
Graham

speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

fraz wrote:
thanks for the replies folks. I'm certain it is an FRP - like you say it's a hard car to fake. How much would the ford garage in Bournmouth charge for a Cambelt change roughly? regards fraz

This post said that a garage in Bournemouth.
As no one had pointed out the different timing this could have lead to a stuff up had it not been for Graham saying Tremona are there, but they are not they are in Southampton.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Dogsbody User avatar

My mistake, sorry. :oops:
On the South Coast,an extra 30 miles Eastward Fraz :wink:
Here's the web site. http://www.tremonagarage.com/
Graham

Return to FRP Q & A?