Board index FRP Q & A? CO emissions

CO emissions

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:46 pm
alib RPOC Regular

My FRP was in for its MOT today and they couldn't get the CO emissions low enough. I've got the Janspeed full system on the garage reckon the cat is too small to cope with it. They tried it hot, cold and warm and couldn't get the level down enough - max is .30% and mine were .50% and .55%. Would giving the car a 'blast' to and from Silverstone (220ish miles round trip) do any good? Has anyone got any ideas please - got a few days before it become a problem.
Alison

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:54 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Is this the new Janspeed system Alison..?

funny, a few seem to be failing on the new system... my tester had to mess around for 1/2 hour to 'bodge' it through... :x

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:56 pm
Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

I'm pretty sure the Metro when MOT'ed was reading around "3" :shock: so I removed the air filter and binned it.
On the retest it was under 0.2, so on that basis, when did you last fit a new air filter?

Hot Hot Hot for the Cat, a real thrash before the Mot required.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 pm
alib RPOC Regular

Yes, it's the new system - they fitted it just after they took a couple of hours getting the car through its last mot.

The air filter is a K&N one and as per el dude's instructions is being put back to normal - so we'll try that for a start.

Thanks both of you. Can't have him sitting in the garage not being used - so all ideas welcomed and reacted to.
Alison

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:54 pm

The airbox might not make the difference....

I do know that even a small leak in the system, seems to knock it out of reglulations... i didn't replace my mesh O ring last summer when re-fitting the joint when perhaps i should have... the inspector did say it had a small minor leak and also at the back box....

might be worth trying a new O Ring...also, the fitting kit they provided with the system was a bit of a mess... the recessed spacers were not only the wrong size but not recessed either... :?

If that doesn't work Alison let me know and i'll post you down my spare center section which is a 'proper' oem one... as long as you promise to send it back up again..as it's worth a few quid... :lol: would be interesting actually to compare the figures from both pipes.... bit anorakish i know... :lol:

Regards

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:43 am
FRP #148 User avatar
RPOC Enthusiast

I had the exact same problem!
Is there anything we can do to complain about this because its not fit for purpose??
Seen as it is meant to be the same as the original and noone seems to be able to get an MOT!
Good luck!
Claire

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 am

Iv'e sent Alison a standard oem Janspeed one to compare the results with...and also a new fitting kit for that joint...

i'm betting it will now pass, proving the new one is bloody useless!... they're not offering any warrenty on it at all.. :shock:

anyone know how many cells the oem cat was from original compared to the new one...??

Regards

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 pm
alib RPOC Regular

Janspeed have offered a couple of things - both costing more money - I'm going to do some comparisons, photos as well as measurements, with the garage and go back to Janspeed with the info. We'll see what happens.
Alison

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 pm
Riyca # 342 Newbie

Had the same with my MOT a couple of weeks ago , lowest we could get was .75 and the car / cat was almost glowing :(

Replaced the hego ( which i found was a cheap patten part ) and got a bosh one , CO2 down to .05 :shock:

Worth a try ?

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm
K3 VER Newbie

Hi All,

I'm running a powerflow exhaust with milltek 421manifold and sport cat.
emissions are trickey to get through.

My advice would be to fill upo with a full tank of shell vpower and add an expensive fule cleaner.
Travel around for a few days before MOT as normal to flush/clean out, then before you shove the plug up the exhaust for mot test go up and down the road in 1st at high revs and get it really hot.
Should work.

Kev :D
K6 FRP

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 pm
alib RPOC Regular

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your comments/suggestions. My car's now passed the mot, thanks to one garage wanting to prove they were better than another one! However, I still have El Dude's centre section and will get Jeff to do some pics of the cats for comparisons. Bring it back to you, Chris, promise.
Alison

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:48 pm

:D :D

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:49 pm

what was the outcome of the comparisons then Alison...??

also, did the fixings make a difference...?

Regards

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:35 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Given the old heat shield will fit around the new cat perfectly I personally do not see that it will be any different, though of coruse the internals may be.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Return to FRP Q & A?