Board index FRP Q & A? FRP Rear Wheel Bearings *ADVICE NEEDED ASAP*

FRP Rear Wheel Bearings *ADVICE NEEDED ASAP*

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

L4FRP User avatar
RPOC Regular

We think L4's rear wheel bearings are giving up, now the question is, is there a cheaper alternative to genuine FRP ones or are they specific on the FRP???

Next question is can I still order them from Ford???

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Last edited by L4FRP on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay & Louise FRP #008

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:18 pm
Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

I had a new rear offside wheel bearing fitted to my FRP last week. Price quoted was around £40 for the bearing from Ford but one of the mechanics had one for his FRP which he hadn't used so gave him £30 cash for it. Not sure what price they should be or if they are specific for the FRP. Will be interesting to see how much an FRP wheel bearing should be!
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:04 pm
fergie RPOC Regular

they are the same as mk1 focus bearings used on ones with rear discs 8 quid off ebay ;) i have used both and dont notice the difference

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

L4FRP wrote:
Next question is can I still order them from Ford???

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=949

Yes 8)

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:52 am
L4FRP User avatar
RPOC Regular

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful :D
Jay & Louise FRP #008

L4FRP User avatar
RPOC Regular

We decided to go the Ford route as we want to use genuine parts. We ordered a wheel hub & bearing using the part number given on the focus diagram from Rob. I then stripped the bits off and noticed the ABS ring pickup is different. Had another look at the diagram and noticed at the top is said ' Focus stub shafts require modification to accept FRP ABS loom', DOH!!!!

Now I had to rebuild it back up as I had to take it off the ramp and obviously the ABS and traction light is now on. Now the question what is the modification??!!!????
Jay & Louise FRP #008

big boy al User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

this was taken from pp.

Racing Puma kit bolts straight on, as mentioned above, this is the same as fitted to the standard Focus, but with modified ABS sensor hole on the near side, a completely different ABS sensor hole on the offside, and with the back of the hub modified to take the standard Puma tone ring.

To make your ABS work with this setup you will need to enlarge the ABS sensor holes in the rear hub, and tap a new hole for the sensor mounting screw. You will also need to use the Puma's ABS tone wheel, this is a slightly smaller diameter to the Focus item, so the hub needs machining in from the edge to reduce the diameter to fit the puma abs ring.

standard focus hub on right, frp on left machined down to fit puma abs ring.

puma tone ring on right focus ring on left.

standard focus spindle.

frp spindle - new hole for the abs sensor bolt and also looks like they have taken a mm or two out of the back to make the distance of the sensor sit correct for the abs ring. 0.6mm away according to pp.

FRP 241 - lsd equipped

speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

no need to post.... Al covered it
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

If Zippy Racing have their own stock then you would be better off getting the parts ready to go:

http://zippyracing.co.uk/shop/catalog/f ... eb0ca8989f

El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

If someones Bored senseless and have a minute to spare...

could they clear something up for me... :lol: :lol:

I thought that only one side of knuckles were available for ages now... but Zippy seem to be selling one side, and ford parts UK selling the other... :D :o

Could someone confirm this by looking at the pictures... it seems to make sense from what i can make out... but another set of eyes would be nice... 8) 8)

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_ra ... e_2229.htm

:mrgreen:

Chris

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

If the pictures are correct then yes Zippy are selling some LH joints:

http://zippyracing.co.uk/shop/catalog/r ... p-481.html

And fordpartsuk some RH ones:

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_ra ... e_2229.htm

I would call and check stock before getting too excited, I suspect Zippy were ordering these parts in from Ford as and when they received an order.

L4FRP User avatar
RPOC Regular

Thanks again for all the info and advice guys, very much appreciated!!

We can now go to central day in L4 :D !!!!
Jay & Louise FRP #008

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

L4FRP wrote:
Thanks again for all the info and advice guys, very much appreciated!!

We can now go to central day in L4 :D !!!!

What did you go for in the end?

Ive almost finished some info regarding the rework of standard Focus parts, as this looks like this will be the only option soon. When its done ill add it to the technical section.

big boy al User avatar

Good man rob was hoping you was going too :-).
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Cheersc :)

As a side comment Alan at Pumabuild is able and does know how to do the mod work to make the stuff I gather.
We are getting a fairly large covering of support for bits on the FRP, which is good to know with stock somewhere dwindling.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

No probs, its nice to have it all in one place on the site, as these questions are going to come up a lot in the next 10+ years! Plus, the machined hub diameter specified above isn't quite right :shock:

Al, who do I need to ask regarding the depth of the machining on the rear of the spindle? The distance you quote as 0.6mm.

big boy al User avatar

Look on the wiki page on pp says the blokes name on their I've forgotten who it was.
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

As a total mechanical idiot can someone please explain why one changes the hub rather than replacing the bearing that is pressed into the hub. I think this is on FRUP's todo list for this year and was expecting to merely find two bearings and have them changed.

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

V4FRP wrote:
As a total mechanical idiot can someone please explain why one changes the hub rather than replacing the bearing that is pressed into the hub. I think this is on FRUP's todo list for this year and was expecting to merely find two bearings and have them changed.

Personal preference I guess; there is no reason to replace the actual hub when servicing the bearings... I didn't.

BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Hopefully this info is of some use:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1734

Next

Return to FRP Q & A?