Board index FRP Q & A? Sticking Throttle/ Revs sticking

Sticking Throttle/ Revs sticking

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:43 pm
BrownieST Newbie

Hey everyone, now ive heard that this is a common fault.... story goes, my pumas throttle started sticking open to about 3000rpm, it has done this before and usually sorted itself out within a few miles, how ever this time it didnt stop. I assumed it was the idle control air valve ontop of the inlet manifold sticking open, so i cleaned all the carbon out of it, still didnt stop.

I replaced the valve 3 times with other ones I borrowed of other pumas, the problem persisted. I guessed that they might be in the same condition as my original one, all been off cars with much higher milage that have been stored outside.

Long story short, i went to ford and painfully shelled out for a new Throttle Position Sensor and an Idle Control Valve, with these fitted the problem is now worse, revving itself to 4000rpm.

Does anyone know any other causes? like vaccuum hoses coming off or splitting? I really dont know lol, any ideas????

Cheers, Will

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:53 am
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

If you paid for Ford to diagnose it and they've replaced parts which haven't sorted it i'd be going back to them!

Have you made sure it's not just the cable that's sticking?
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:54 am
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Will,

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1449

If you have ruled out the TPS and ICV being faulty, this is defiantly the next thing to look at!

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:59 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

if changing the TPS has made it worse then that preety much says it's the wiring loom to the TPS... as it's clearly been 'handled' to change te part which has made it worse...

:idea:

:D

Chris

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:26 pm
BrownieST Newbie

cheers guys, erm, i cant get onto that topic that you sent me the link for lol, could you give me a summary of what it says?

i left it with the battery off (a suggestion from a friend whos Ka did the same thing back in the day) and it started running ok with the new sensors, so i thought it was ok, but now its hunting horribley when its ticking over just about 1200 revs lol bad times :roll:

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:09 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Join the club and you can gain access to that topic :D
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:00 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

check the two wires that connect up the power steering sender unit too.... just underneath front bumper...

:D

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 pm
olliev2009 Newbie

hey ive got the same problem on mine, but it ent a FRP engine. Its a normal 1.7 with a induction kit..

Return to FRP Q & A?