Board index FRP Q & A? which lsd?

which lsd?

Looking to purchase a FRP? ask fellow members of there experiences...

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm
frpjamie Newbie

Hi everyone!

Thinking of upgrading the puma with a LSD, but struggling to decide which one to spend my pennies on. Just wondered if anybody with a LSD puma could tell me which to get, and if they're really worth the money for the improvement they'll make to the performance?

I'm thinking either the Viscous one from Pumabuild (http://www.pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=28&products_id=205&osCsid=fc0b866f47abdbbc2a52e81da449409a)

The Kaaz one from Pumaspeed (http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=23)

Or a Quaife one (http://www.quaife.co.uk/Ford-Racing-Puma-Quaife-ATB-Helical-LSD-differential)

Any ideas which one is the best? Or any alternatives to the ones I've found?

Cheers,

Jamie

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:56 pm
big boy al User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

i had one retro fitted to my frp and all i can say is if you drive the car hard and corner harder then it will make a big difference to you. if you drive quite sedate and dont like to experiment with levels of grip etc then you wont notice the difference.

myself ive heard good things about the quaife item and if i was to break mine this is what id go for.

but in saying that through the club the original racing puma lsd can be had now for about £380 through this club while stocks last but rom ford its about another £80. there are only 104 left and they wont be around forever.
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:59 am
lisafrp User avatar

Hi Jamie,

If you are a member of the RPOC then you'll get all of the above LSD's at a huge discount - well worth the £15 from Bronze membership, you'll get that saving on your first purchase plus a load more!

We currently run a Quaife LSD in our turbo puma and it's pretty good, but as it's used for competition we have decided to upgrade to a Kaaz LSD which is currently being fitted as it will stop the problem we have when lifting a wheel and losing drive on track.

We have heard rave reviews about the Kaaz, but it all depends what you will be using it for as it is said to be quite harsh on the road, and will need to be adjusted to suit your driving style, it's not just a bolt in and play option, and is said to be very noisy.

The Quaife will be going into my FRP once the other one is back together.

If it's just going to be used as a road car then I would go for the Ford one, as Al said you can get these very cheap through the club at the moment.

If you are using it for light occasional motorsport - sprints/hillclimbs/trackdays then the Quaife would be a good option

If it's going to be a pure competiton car I would go for the Kaaz

HTH
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Crickey That Kaaz one isn't cheap.. :o more than the gearbox..

:lol:

for the money the ford ones are going for i'd go for that one...still LSD fun for reasonable money.. 8) 8)

Chris

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 pm
lisafrp User avatar

You could nearly get 2 gearboxes for the price of the Kaaz at the moment :lol:
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Return to FRP Q & A?