Board index Members Cars - For Sale FRP 468

FRP 468

You can list your pride and joy here.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:30 pm
Frp468 Newbie

I've been told that both back quarters need replacing. Each is going to cost £760 + vat then there's the fitting bring the grand total up to £3000. I was going to sell the car before I found this out. Is it worth getting the work done and then sell it or sell it for parts/project? The FRP has done 53k miles

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:33 pm
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Frp468 wrote:
I've been told that both back quarters need replacing. Each is going to cost £760 + vat then there's the fitting bring the grand total up to £3000. I was going to sell the car before I found this out. Is it worth getting the work done and then sell it or sell it for parts/project? The FRP has done 53k miles

They are repairable in my opinion for a lot less than you've been quoted. 462 has similar problems and I intend repairing myself using carbon fibre cloth. I do have the advantage of owning two new rear arches that I can use to make copies. There is a guy who is making glass fibre replacements that are not that expensive. At 53k miles the car would sell as a project depends how much you like the car. PM me if you'd like input on repairing the arches yourself I'm about to challenge 462 and would be happy to help you do 468.

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:50 am
Blue3 RPOC Regular

post some pictures up, I had to repair mine and added small patches at the front and in the arch reveal

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:24 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

I repaired one side of mine too.
That quote is to not repair but rather cut the lot out and redo I guess.
Post a picture to see how extensive your rust is as it can vary mine was a small patch caused by how the panel was built and I have seen this on other cars. Graham had it too on one side.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:24 pm
Frp468 Newbie

Rust is bad. The paintwork has flaked off and exposed the metal. Bubbles around back arches. You are right the price is to cut out quarters and replace. I'm looking at glass fibre now to see how expensive that is. Any one got any pros and/or cons of glass fibre over metal?

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

Problem with fibreglass is even when fully bonded it expands at a different rate to steel, so with the best will in the world at some point you are going to get a crack line in your paint

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:41 am
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Use carbonfibre cloth or weave impregnate with epoxy resins and use epoxy filler to Finnish off. All you need can be found here http://www.cfsnet.co.uk

Return to Members Cars - For Sale