Board index New Forum Members New member, Essex

New member, Essex

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:43 pm
FoxyRS Newbie

Hi guys,

New member here, Tim from Essex,

Currently owner of a mk1 Focus RS, number 460, had a history of very quick cars, but always loved the presence of the FRP, almost has more than the FRS!

Basically i'm here as i'm moving house and am looking to downgrade from the FRS to the FRP, so i'm trying to find out more about them and what is out there on sale with similar mileage to mine, or if any of you guys want to do a deal to upgrade to another awesome fast Ford :D

Thanks

Tim

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:14 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

I think some would consider it an upgrade !!!

Much more exclusive and better handling. Beware there are plenty of nails out there, but a few gems as well, most people who buy look at 4-5 cars before buying, if you join on this site as a paid up member there is much more to access to give you more info.

Main issues are front brakes need regular servicing and are really expensive and corrode badly if not looked after, bumpers and wings will cost you a small fortune if you break them, but on the up side a lot of the rest of the car is standard 1.7 puma so cheap as chips and loads of donor cars out there.

Simon

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm
FoxyRS Newbie

Most of those things i am familar with from the FRS, the 4 piston Brembos corroding and needing helicoil inserts for new bleed screws being something similar, and the 18 month waiting list on wings and bumpers lol.

Never driven a puma, but if they handle better than the RS with the Quaife diff then i'd be pleasantly surprised.

I think I will pay up, as I really want to search for information before parting with cash, I know a lot is standard which is something that interests me as it means there is less to go wrong, and if it does then its easy to rectify, a lot of the RS is so bespoke that not a lot of people seem to understand it!

Really on the look out for something similar mileage (80,000) and don't really want to pay anything over £5k regardless of exclusivity, they won't start increasing in value for another 10 years at a guess, and I don't want to have to instantly deal with rusted out rear arches or bubbles everywhere and corroded brake lines etc...

Do you think I am asking too much for too little outlay?

Cheers

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:42 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Possibly 5k for what you are after is pushing it.
Either pay less and fix the issues yourself or pay more and they would have been done (hopefully) or accept higher miles.
Somewhere I have an excellent bit of writing about the FRS and FRP driving and that the FRP ultimately can take a corner faster if driven correctly of slow in fast out this is from the FRS development days.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 am
FoxyRS Newbie

cheers, well, i have a potential buyer on the phone for the RS as I type this, so might be getting my hands on an FRP sooner than I thought.

Fixing a few issues isn't a problem to me, I do most of my own mechanical stuff so i'm not phased by that.

If there are any local in Essex for me to come and have a look over to get a better feel for the car then i'd be grateful to any owners who could help me out on that

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:16 pm
Smudge User avatar
RPOC Regular

Hello there,
I live just south of Chelmsford, so you're more than welcome to come have a look sometime. It's in the body shop[ at the moment, but I can let you know when it's back?

Matt
Matt
FRP #435

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 am
FoxyRS Newbie

Im in Chelmford too, so that sounds perfect Matt, thanks.

If you could email me timmyboyf@hotmail.com to let me know when its out of the shop then you can take me over points to look out for, my brothers girlf has a standard Puma so i'm aware of the main weak points, but it'd be nice to have an owner take me round their FRP.

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:28 pm
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Great to read this as this is what the club / forum is all about the pooling of knowledge and the eagerness to help and advise others. Great stuff lets hope another FRP falls into good hands.

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:08 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

depends,

If you are prepared to do a bit of work, then you can probably get there in budget, I bought mine, had to have the drivers seat squab recovered and a bit of paint on the arches and that was under £5k all in with 74k on the clock.

If you want a minter to start with you will probs need to look more at about £6k

Quite a few people on here know a good few of the cars, so if you are looking at one in particular, post the number and you should get some honest feedback

Simon

FoxyRS wrote:
Most of those things i am familar with from the FRS, the 4 piston Brembos corroding and needing helicoil inserts for new bleed screws being something similar, and the 18 month waiting list on wings and bumpers lol.

Never driven a puma, but if they handle better than the RS with the Quaife diff then i'd be pleasantly surprised.

I think I will pay up, as I really want to search for information before parting with cash, I know a lot is standard which is something that interests me as it means there is less to go wrong, and if it does then its easy to rectify, a lot of the RS is so bespoke that not a lot of people seem to understand it!

Really on the look out for something similar mileage (80,000) and don't really want to pay anything over £5k regardless of exclusivity, they won't start increasing in value for another 10 years at a guess, and I don't want to have to instantly deal with rusted out rear arches or bubbles everywhere and corroded brake lines etc...

Do you think I am asking too much for too little outlay?

Cheers

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 pm
Blue3 RPOC Regular

Return to New Forum Members