Board index New Forum Members Ford Racing Puma #401 - Refurb and detailing

Ford Racing Puma #401 - Refurb and detailing

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

fatty Newbie

Hi guys,

My name is Alex and I am the current owner of #401.

I think most of you will know of #401 but I'll give some history just in case. #401 was previously owned by Jay from Birmingham who purchased it in a pretty sorry state. It had been previously accident damaged and repaired to a 'satisfactory' standard, however was far from perfect.

Jay did a fantastic job of repairing her, it was jigged at the rear with a new rear panel, the front was twisted and did not line up so a new front panel and chassis leg was fitted. The whole car was then stripped to bare metal, etch primed and painted inside and out before being rebuilt.

I purchased #401 in July 2012, I have always loved the FRP and wanted one for the past 5 years since I sold my old MK5 Zetec S. I purchased#401 with the intention of using it as a weekend, good weather car as I already have a daily run around.

I had planned on refurbing the underside so that it would match the standard of the body and paint. The refurb began in October 2012 and continued up until February 2013. Its not 100% finished yet, I plan to overhaul the front end suspension, track rods, knuckles and drop links this summer.

To quickly sum up the work I have done so far-
Stripped the underside of exhaust, heat shields, rear axle, rear brake setup, fuel tank, fuel lines and brake lines
Underside was stripped to bare metal and painted with an epoxy masts chassis paint, stone guarded then top coated in a light grey hammerite type paint.
A new piper exhaust system from Puma Build was fitted, new exhaust heat shields, powder coated rear axle, rear brakes were changed, calipers were refurbished by Bigg Red brakes.

Some when I first brought her-

And some highlights of the underbody refurb-

Underside partially stripped

Underside painted

New fuel and brakeline clips

Rear axle stripped and powdercoated

Handbrake cable, copper rear brakelines fitted

Fuel tank stripped and repainted

Rear calipers, carriers and slider pins electro plated in Ford OEM gold

New parts ready to be fitted

New exhaust heat shields fitted

Exhaust fitted

Goodridge flexible rear brake lines

Rear brakes rebuilt

Main underside of the car painted

Got overspray on my sills so wet sanded and machine polished

Underside pretty much finished and some concourse style mirror whoring :D

Recently I have been cleaning and detailing the engine bay, will keep you up to date as things progress,.

Thanks Alex

lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Wow, this looks great, nice little project thread there. Keep the updates coming :)
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Looks great brings back memories for me of spending hours flat on my back underneath FRUP but very worthwhile at the end. Please keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.

RICHARD WOOD Newbie

Hi

Would you have a photo of the front Strut / Brake flexi brake pipe set up.

Thanks
Ricky

Ps Fantastic rebuild well done

Return to New Forum Members