Board index New Forum Members A little Winter Protection...

A little Winter Protection...

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 pm
gally Newbie

Just thought I'd post this over here from DW to let the FRP owners enjoy the pictures and stuff. :) Enjoy it is a long read. :)

Been planning this one for a little while, partially due to a few new products I had and wanted to try out and the winter is upon us already! :(

First up this was not a correction detail the car is due a glass out respray next spring (if it's not moved on for a lower mileage model)
and most if not all the panels have uncorrectable marks on them understandable with the car now being 10 years old.

The polishes used were more just to test them out while I had the chance really.

Anyway sit back have a cuppa and let me know what you think. :o

Sunday: Wash and prep, pretty basic really, as per my previous thread the car was clayed about 2/3 months ago now so just a light tickle with Tardis was required.

A few befores...

Bird poopity from the day before...

Some more shots, not the best due to the rain...

Exhaust before...

Onto the detail then... Wheels first. With the Alcons shedding brake dust like crazy the silver wheels are dirty after a 10 minute drive they are worth it though...
quite a few wheels pictures to show a good wheel cleaner at work...

Autobrite Brite Gel applied to the wheel through a strong trigger, gel diluted just slighty with water to get it spraying more freely, then left to dwell for a minute.
The brite gel at work... (No agitation yet, just a test)

A little run off from the gel due to it being diluted, in gel form it just sticks and works away at the dust up to the individual how it's used really.

Pressured washed off with no agitation, impressive product I must say and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it even against more dilutable cleaners out there.

Most of the wheel is clean, quite impressive considering the tight nooks and crannies that usually a brush would be needed to agitate the product.

Onto the inners and more detail on the outers. Sprayed again with the Brite Gel concentrating on the inners and also some G101.
Agitated with an AB wheels brush for the inner and a nice thick Envy wheel brush for the tight spots...

Working it's magic again once agitated...

Ready for washing off...

Off...

My apologies for the lack of after pics the rain was ridiculous at this point, that's what i'm blaming anyway! :( Tyres all scrubbed down with an envy brush and some more G101. 4:1 dilution, and the rest of the wheels finished off with the same process.

So after some back breaking I snowfoamed the car using some AS HD foam, billed to me as wax safe is diluted correctly it's been fine so far on the Purple haze that was on it for the past 2 months so thumbs up from me.

Whilst the snow foam was dwelling and working away I went round the car with G101, diluted 4:1 again and with a foaming head it's perfect for the next task.

All seals, shuts, textured parts, grilles, badges, and the exhaust scrubbed down with a new Envy brush (these are top quality items that I wouldn't see past)

Some pictures...

During...

Quite a bit of dirt get's down the tailgate shuts...

And ready for a good pressure wash...

Hand washed with TBM using BTBM and a Eurow washmitt, still very soft and plush even after about 10+ washes.

And what can I say about BTBM just a fantastic allround shampoo that I was relieved to find after some previous shampoos were found to be affecting the life of some sealent and waxes. BTBM to the rescue in my case, super slick, super sudsy and gentle on the very best of waxes when used correctly! :)

Finally ready for a final power wash and parked up for the night...

A little video of a glass cleaner I recently recommended on here, this was 6 weeks after application, it took a 2:1 ratio of G101 to remove it completly from the windows...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVoptRavC8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVoptRavC8k[/url]

Total time taken about 2 hours.

A deserved cold Corona and a nice dinner awaited me! :)

Thanks for making it this far!

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 pm
gally Newbie

So day 2... Maybe get 2 cuppas for this one!

Had a bank holiday Monday at work, place was closed anyway so the boss left me the keys and I had the place to myself to crack on...

Camera used yesterday was left in the house. :wall:
So most of the pictures were taken with the works camera, bare with me until near the end as some are of shocking quality. :( Apologies.

Car was quickly snowfoamed and hand washed in the morning when I got there! About quarter to 8! Early early!

Rolled inside to get dried off with the airline and a nice new PB plush drying towel.
Another new buy after my blue fluffy towel gave up the ghost. The towel seems much better quality and far more absorbent than the blue one so a cracking purchase imo.

First things first, courtesy of thw boys at BiltHamber... Dynax S-50. A bit of research was done and seeing the test results and how it held up to some serious punishment I thought it was ideal product.
The sills,doors and inner quarters had been done a few weeks back so just a little added to the outer quarters. :)

The arches were scrubbed with a really old brush the day before to loosen off the old dirt and was pressured washed off before the wash process.
Dried off with an airline and too make sure there was no more crap in there.

Then protected. (not the best pictures), I used up the rest of the tin and the inners are now totally blacked out with dynax.

Was just a little thing I thought i'd do while it had the time to dry during the detail. :)

So all dried off, jacked up for the cavity wax and for doing the rear bumper.
Also front grille removed.

Side shot looks okay... LP enhancement not long ago and Purple haze have keept up the "just waxed" look after many a wash...
^ Lacking some depth
^ Lacking camera quality! :(

Just a small selection of some little defects that I knew I could rectify...

Bonnet...
Wing...
Drivers Door...
Etching on bonnet and roof...

My apologies again for the lack of defect pictures the car has them but the camera used was never going to pick many up. :(

Onto the Enhancement. 2 totally new polishes for me to try. Menz 203s and Gtech's P1 polish.

As a 3M user for around a year now i've never felt the need to go elswhere for polish but as every detailer knows most of the fun is in trying different products even when you find ones that are perfect.

Decided with a 3M yellow pad and a Milwaukee rotary polisher.
I've used a Silverline for the best part of a year and I think I prefer the Milwaukee, it has a good start speed and feels great to hold.
I always liked the weight of the Silverline, gave you a good strong feel to it but after using a lighter rotary I think i'm connverted. Okay the speed setting is a little fidly and lettered instead of numbered but it really does a good job and a little more pressure and stronger hold makes up for the weight deficiency.
If I remeber correctly it's a CP in wolfs clothing? ;)
Anyway a cracking machine allround and as the Milwaukee and Silverline are older now I may order up a new milwaukee with a good discount I have access to :)

With the two polishes to try I just simply taped up the bonnet, 2 sides and worked them both as per the instrcutions.
I had done a bit of research about these 2 aswell as I also considered giving Megs 205 a try but 2 small "sample" bottle of these polishes were the order of the day (Big thanks to Gtechniq, Rob and Peter for getting it to me on time, great bunch of guys, very helpful)

Like I said did plenty of reserch and tried to understand how both polishes worked ie the P1 not really like a normal polish, breaking down ect...

Tried a few different tecniques on the bonnet and the menz was coming out on top in most departments, put it down to user error if you will but the P1 does dry out quicker and definitely dusts and splatters more no doubt about that, also I must add as I think was commented on in the review why not real dispenser cap?
Pouring pea sized drops of polish onto a pad from that bottle is difficult, not sure how much work would be required to change the lid but it's something that would put me off, seemed you could waste a lot of product with the large neck opening.

So as I was getting better results with the 203's I decided just to do the whole car with it and reserve the P1 for any hand polishing required at the end. :)
The 203's really was a pleasure to work with, I was worried about heavy dusting ect... but it was great and stayed oily and spreadable for longer than I ever thought it would. I think a couple of people compared it to 3M EF i'd say in the right hands it gives more cut and is easier to work with. That's coming from a massive 3M fan.

Shuts, Carbon splitter and under handles hand polished with P1 and wiped down with QD. Great hand polish.

Some shots before the car was wiped down...

Was looking pretty good at this point, a marked improvement all over the car, no doubt.
Onto the best bit of most details. finishing off! :)

A nice wipe down with Z6...
As a bit of a QD fan i've tried quite a few, to name FK425 and SPSD as 2 of them this surpasses them no doubt about it.
I mentioned it in a thread today it's the only QD i've used that seems to leave something behind that boosts the finished and it's the perfect product for restoring that freshly polished and waxed look. Slick is the perfect word for it imo. :)

Then onto pre-cleansing the paint ready for the LSP. Todays choice (another new product) Lusso revitalising creme.

Again something i've wanted to try for a while now as i'm a big believer that the cleanse/glaze process can add something to the finish before your LSP. The LCR was no exception.

Thanks again to Gordon@ Defined Details for helping me out and offering me a sample of the stuff, he came well out his way to help a fellow member out, I can only hope the forum can keep the that kind of thing going as we're all here for the same thing. :)

Gordon suggested a MF apllicator but as I had a new German one there I thought i'd use that. Due to people commenting on how the LCr can dry out quickly I always fely MF applicators contributed towards it drying out where as the foam one absord the product but and keep the pad primed.
I was astounded at how little product was required. I dotted 3 very small dabs of the product on the pad and away I went, managed to cover the bonnet the 2 wings in one go once the pad was primed with some product.
Also never had any problems with it drying out at all on the pad or panel.

I was doing roughly 3 panels then removing, it would have been less but the product went so far I didn't have to stop. The LCR came off a treat with a plush blue Eurow cloth. No dusting or anything just came off with ease.

Verdict? A fantastic Pre-cleanser, after using LP which in itself is a great product I feel by hand the LCR will offer more to the finish than LP but by machine as most would admit the LP might have the edge. The LCr is almost glaze like to work with and credit to Lusso for making such a great product. :)

Some shots after the LCR...

Was very happy pre wax. Sorry for the terrible pictures. They get better!

Before waxing I decided to finish off all the little bits I had to do! :(

First up wheels and tyres...

Wheels polished with P1, what a pain that was.
A lot of people would bother especially as it wasn't a wheel off job but it brought silver back out in the wheels, they were refurbed in Feb but were looking a little dull after the amount of brake dust they've seen.

Wheels sealed inside and out with 476, I do have a new tin of FK1000p but I thought it would be better to use up what I had rather than open a whole new tin!

Tyres dressed with Megs Endurance...

I like the glossy look on tyres, personal preference I suppose, so this is an ideal product and if applied correctly you shouldn't suffer and slinging. :)

Some afters...

Exhaust cleaned with autosol and fine wire wool, then polished with with P1 by hand...

All trims treated with VP Dionysus Trim Glitz.

I've had this product for quite a while now and it's fantastic, barring C4 it's the longest lasting trim prodcut i've tried. And if you look at my bottle you'll see how much is left in it. Little amount seems to go far which is always good.

I'm looking at ordering some C4 soon. Encourage my laziness!

Couple of 50/50's... grille untreated on the bottom 2 spars...

Onto the glass... just a couple of shots, check my other thread reagrding this stuff as i'm sure some will laugh. I don't blame you but it'a fantastic glass cleaner/sealent...
Door glass was rather dirty
See the final shots for the afters. :)
Rear screen cleaned...

Nearing the end, finally! ;)

Lsp of choice today? The fantastic Zymol Glasur. Applied with a new SN finger mitt, primed with a little fk425. The mitt is great and not just for sample pots, I couldn't count the amount of times a foam applicator has flew out my hands onto the floor!

I know I know it's not a winter wax but i'll keep it on a month then i'll get some Fk on it! What can I say I love the stuff! Don't shoot me!
I was lucky enough to grab a sample of the stuff recently and upon using it I instantly had a pot on order.
I really can't see past it for a boutique wax.To me it seems like a bargain for the performance it gives. The way it spreads like butter and you get the impression you could leave it for weeks and remove it with no pressure at all.

Left to cure for half an hour...

Buffed off with another plush blue Eurow cloth and wiped down again with Z6 about 15 minutes later.

What can I say guys, thanks for reading and staying this long! Hope the little reviews have helped and i'll try and keep the next one just a little shorter! :p

Sadly the sun didn't really come out to play but I think my friends camera helped get the best of the final finish.

Enjoy the final shots...

Rolled outside for the final shots...

Thanks again for reading guys.

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:42 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Wow...some nice work there... 8) 8)

Just don't go out in it now... :lol:

Chris

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm
gally Newbie

I'll hope sooner rather than later you'll be able to touch 467's brakes. :)

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 pm
spikebmth RPOC Enthusiast

fantastic results

would you be kind enough to list your products, and where they are applied in the order used.

I know you;ve put them in your text, i mean just a summary of them :)

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

Hi, thanks for sharing.
I personally would have used Dymax UB for the wheel arches. It dries firmer and is darker and better suited to external covering.
I have this on my under body and also wheel arches.
However I had found rust underneath some loose mastic in both rear arches, so there was quite a bit of prep before I could use the UB. It does need quite a few coats to get a really deep/dark looking coverage if that is what you are after. It is thankfully easy to paint on with a brush.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:31 am
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Wow, nice one, it looks amazing! Great read too 8)

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:20 am
racingpuma1982 RPOC Regular

That looks awesome. Makes me want my FRP back!!

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:52 am
zara014 User avatar
RPOC Regular

Some brilliant shots there!!!! :D

Will be prepping mine for the winter in the next week or two aand get a harder wax on it!

Good job mate :)

Post Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:37 pm
gally Newbie

spikebmth wrote:
fantastic results

would you be kind enough to list your products, and where they are applied in the order used.

I know you;ve put them in your text, i mean just a summary of them :)

Hi Spike.

No problem mate pretty simple list on this car and I had some new products so I'll list everything I really use.

Textured trims, scuttle, mudflaps, mirror bases, rubbers : Valetpro glitz trim gel.
Wheels cleaned with : Autobrite brite gel and a couple of detail brushes
Wheels sealed with : Collinites 476 wax
Tyres drressed with : Megs endurance tyre gel
Washed with : Dodo Juice Born to be mild shampoo + Was mitt
Polished using : Menz 203's and Gtecniq P1 polish by machine.
Bodywork pre-cleansed with : Lusso revitalising creme. Also can use Dodo juice Lime Prime.
Waxed with : Zymol Glasur
Quick detailer for wiping down : Zaino Z6
Glass cleaned sealed with : Cif "Professional" Glass cleaner.

Probably missed quite a bit out of that list but it's a start!

Post Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 am
mikefrp0246 Newbie

awesome mate, will have to look into some of them products thats amazing. Top work!!

Return to New Forum Members