Board index New Forum Members FRP 591

FRP 591

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:40 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

new gearbox gaskets and diff bearings turned up today

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm
Williamsclio1 User avatar
RPOC Regular

Car looks great, good work
FRP314

Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:43 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

got my new EN24 steel valves from lightning motorsport, i test fitted them in my head and they fit like a glove, il probably order up a full set of HD valve springs soon then il have fun lapping in all those hardened steel valves :( lol

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 am
d170sam RPOC Regular

not much of an update this month, got an expensive month at the mo, got 2 stag weekends, the missus's birthday and my mountainbike is broken and needs fixing :( anyway got a magnetic sump plug and an inline fuel tap, the tap is so i can shut off the fuel line when changing the fuel filter to make it less messy also its an added security feature!

Post Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 am
d170sam RPOC Regular

got some new wheels for my car! i think these might be a first on a puma! they are Rota subzero's in a 18"x7.5" with an offset of 45, they are the same stud pattern as the puma and according to the main UK Rota dealer they are very rare in ford fitment (for those of you not familiar with Rota they make lightweight wheels mainly for japanese cars, these wheels weigh 7.7kg each! they are super light!!) anyway with an offset of 45 there is no way they would fit a normal puma let alone a (replica) FRP so im having some custom spacers made that bolt to the hub and have new studs pressed in to them, the fronts are gonna have 25mm spacers (each side) and the rears are gonna have 30mm spacers plus i also got some 30mm 'press car' spacers custom made too, this will effectively make the front wheels poke out 6mm and the rears poke out 8mm than the current wheels, whilst i got the wheels brand new for an absolute bargain i didnt like the colour (gloss silver spokes with a polished lip) so i have had them powder coated in satin black...

Post Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

crickey...the wheels seem like an unessesary expense when the original ones suit the car perfectly, all be it a tad heavier..

I tried the slightly lighter route with some speedlines and the car didn't 'feel' very "FRP" anymore.... sold them on a season later and bought a 2nd set of FRP ones...

:D

Post Fri May 04, 2012 5:29 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

The problem is my FRP wheels aren't mine they belong to Sean g, and they are his spare set! So I had to get new wheels, been looking around for ages for something good, these came up in an unimaginable bargain and I couldn't say no, basically these are brand new wheels direct from the uk's main rota dealer (i know thus because i collected them in person), to buy them, have them powder coated and get custom spacers made (which bolt to the hub and have new studs in them, made in billet aluminium) still cost me less than the retail price on these wheels, and all these parts combined still cost me less than any other 18" wheels I had looked at!

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

little update for you all, got my custom made billet alluminium spacers, im going to be running 25mm spacers on the front (effectively making the front wheel offset et20, and 30mm spacers on the rear (et15) plus the 30mm press car spacers, this will result in the front wheels poking out an extra 8mm and the rears 6mm over the setup i have now

test fitted with spacer

thought id tr out a 225-40-18 tyre on it, it was a bit 'baloony' on the rim but i tryed it on the car, bottom line, it looks pants, and there are majour clearance issues on the front, so back to the drawing board, ive been on the web site 'will they fit' and tryed out different tyre sizes on my rims, and have decided that 215-35-18 tyres will be much better, a squarer profile and rolling radius will only be 2mm more that my current FRP wheels and tyres, so back to the tyre shop next week to get the right tyres!

here is a pic with the 225-40-18 tyre on the front (not a great pic, sorry)

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 pm
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Great thread, I can't wait to see the turbo engine built up and running :) Ours runs a GT2860 , it only just fits in the gap, so wise going for the smaller one :)

What pistons are you going for?
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

Il be going for a forged set of rods and pistons from PEC

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:14 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

wheels on and looking awesome!

car feels alot better to drive, accelerates, turns and brakes alot quicker

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:14 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

Hello all, sorry no updates for a while, there is progress though! ive had a bit of a 'mare getting low compression forged pistons and h-section forged rods, initialy i contacted PEC who list a 1.7 puma turbo rod and package including big end bearings for £925ish plus a reasonable £6 postage, i ordered them online made payment and sat back to wait for some tasty forged parts to turn up..... however, PEC contacted me a few days later saying there was a problem, that being that they did not have them in stock, basically they would have to make them as a custom order as they wernt in stock, ok i said, expecting to have to pay a little more to do this i asked how much, another £450 please sir, WTF! that is absolutely rediculous, a couple hundred quid i would have begrudging given but how can they justify an extra £450 on top of £925! anyway they did say if i could find two other people to order at the same time they would honour the original price, 'go F~£K yourself' was my reply, anyway after that misery i contacted Lightning Motorsport, who i should have just rung in the first place, ironicaly i have now ordered my forged low compression pistons/ rings/ H-section forged conrods/ the pistons being made by none other than Cosworth! and the Rods by PEC!!!!! hopefully they will be here in the next 6 weeks and il get up loads of tasty pics, i have also been busy with a second hand alternator, stripped it down, cleaned it, powder coated the shell bright silver, and ive just given it to a mate to rebuild, so il get some pics up soon of that too

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:43 pm
Bentleya User avatar
RPOC Regular

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of you powder coated alternator. I've looked into it before as I was very interested in doing this eventually.
FRP: 190.

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 am
d170sam RPOC Regular

Should look ok, it was quite forward stripping it down

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Bentleya wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing photos of you powder coated alternator. I've looked into it before as I was very interested in doing this eventually.

It's a lot of faff... i just bought a new unit... at least then you know you've got new bearings etc too... you can get a new lucus unit for less than £100 i recall...

:)

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:58 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

El dude wrote:
Bentleya wrote:

It's a lot of faff... i just bought a new unit... at least then you know you've got new bearings etc too... you can get a new lucus unit for less than £100 i recall...

:)

Alternator £5 on eBay
Powder coat £free (because I got my wheels done the week before)
Rebuild with new bearings/brushes/ general clean up and rebuild £25

Total £30

£70 less than new, worth the 'faff' :)

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:02 pm
Bentleya User avatar
RPOC Regular

That's a pretty good price Chris, where about's do you pick them up for that for?

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 pm

i think europarts :)

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 pm
d170sam RPOC Regular

hello all, sorry no updates for a while, got some new bits in the post:

coil pack

fuel pressure regulator

lightning motorsport 58mm knife edge throttle body, also came with a throttle position sensor which was a nice little bonus :)/>

lightning motorsport heavy duty valve springs and machined caps/bases so suit

and last but by no means least a set of custon wossner low compressions pistons/rings/pins (as you can guess i was a bit excited when this little lot turned up!)

im still waiting for my forged rods to turn up but Chris at lightning motorsport is on the case, they should be here in the next month, thanks for reading, sam

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Bentleya User avatar
RPOC Regular

Looking great Sam :), where did you get the Visteon coil pack from?

PreviousNext

Return to New Forum Members