Board index New Forum Members Advice sought - purchasing brakes

Advice sought - purchasing brakes

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:34 am
Bobadabob Newbie

Hi all - just joined up! Had my FRP since 2001 and STILL loving it... Wear and tear taking its toll and needing more serious maintenance; looking like brakes need full replacement. Evidently, my local service centre (oxford) are struggling to find parts...!?! They keep saying they are STILL waiting to hear back from Ford about pricing/availability - that's been going on for 10 or more days now...

I've found 'fordpartsuk' on the web - I've written to them so will wait and see what they come back with; in the meantime, thought I'd ask you folks here - any recommendations of other outlets for parts you might know of would be appreciated..

Oh, I've just remembered 'pumabuild' people - I'll google them out and see if they are still operating... :-)

Thanks,
Bob

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:25 am
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Hiya Bob,,

are you sure your current brakes are totally knackered..??

I offer a full inspection and rebuild service...maybe i could salvage them for you..??

if not, i have spares too of all the associated parts....

New calipers are nice tho.. :mrgreen: the calipers ideally do need a little work on them before fitting to ensure they don't rot in the same way, so iven if you do go that route with new ones, you way want to pop up (or down) my way for the fitting and a little FRP advice....

Regards

Chris

FRP453

ps...your not the Bob i met in Shrewsbury are you that owns a macdonalds or two..lol :D

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 pm
Bobadabob Newbie

Hey Chris - thanks for responding... No sorry, I'm not the 'Macdonald' owning Bob... ;-)

About the brakes - well, I really would appreciate the independent advice. The last inspection report (05/Oct/2009) quoted them as:-
Front:- Discs-pads are scored; 85% wear. The pads are at 3-4 mm (of use left I guess..!); discs 26.5mm (and the minimum allowed is 26mm..?). The discs are slightly 'lipped and pitted'.
Rear:- It says 'ok' but states 65% wear. The pads are at 4mm (approx) with the discs being 'slightly pitted'.

So, maybe I was being a bit over the top; perhaps I can just get pads for the rears, but the fronts (discs/pads) are pretty shot. No idea about the calipers themselves mind...

I'm in Oxford, so Nottingham is a ways off for me - a bit of forward planning would be needed..! How much do you charge and when do you do your inspections (weekends only..? Evenings only...? etc..). It would probably have to be a w/e for me...

Not that I don't appreciate your offer, but quietly hoping there is someone similar to yourself - just a tad nearer (you can understand, I've done a good few miles since that last report and I'm actually a bit hesitant to drive the thing too much, til this brake situation is sorted. I've just last week had the 'ABS' and 'Traction Control' lights come up permanent on the dashboard - I think its unrelated mind...). :wink:

Cheers,
Bob

PS:- I've had word back from 'fordpartsuk' they've got the discs in stock at £205 +VAT a pair... pads would be around £80

FRP #0382

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 pm
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

Bobadabob wrote:
I'm in Oxford, so Nottingham is a ways off for me - a bit of forward planning would be needed..! How much do you charge and when do you do your inspections (weekends only..? Evenings only...? etc..). It would probably have to be a w/e for me...

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the club :D

I drove up to Chris' from Essex which was a 300 mile round trip to have the full monty on my Alcons; and was totally worth it. Chris' service couldn't be any more through, plus he has tonnes of experience and parts on the shelf should you need anything replacing, which should be considered when/if you try to find somewhere locally to service your brakes. Plus his prices are more than fair, although I wont post how much it cost me as it was a few years back now :lol:

At the risk of sounding like i'm after some discounted rates you get the idea :lol: :lol:

Rob.

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Bobadabob wrote:

Not that I don't appreciate your offer, but quietly hoping there is someone similar to yourself - just a tad nearer (you can understand, I've done a good few miles since that last report and I'm actually a bit hesitant to drive the thing too much, til this brake situation is sorted. I've just last week had the 'ABS' and 'Traction Control' lights come up permanent on the dashboard - I think its unrelated mind...). :wink:

Cheers,
Bob

PS:- I've had word back from 'fordpartsuk' they've got the discs in stock at £205 +VAT a pair... pads would be around £80

FRP #0382

Hiya Bob... i see now... i thought you were purchasing new calipers... :)

Without blowing my own trumpet too much... people have travelled MUCH further for my brake inspection service, as it's quite a tidy job, and a fair few hours work for the small fee of £70.. 8)

Oxford really isn't that far.. i'm very close to Junc 24 off the M1...

Don't buy any pads... mine are slightly cheaper, and work very well... :lol: :lol:

The discs you mention are cheap... but bare in mind you may well get 2 discs from the same side!.. as the clearence company are just flogging them as them pick them up out of stoarge... the Racing puma discs are 'handed' and vented in such a way so that the vents directionally point toward the rear of the car creating a slight sucking action as they spin.... in the car, i doubt you'd feel the difference... but it may affect the way the disc performs/wears over time...?? very hard to say...but bare that in mind!.... a pair of discs from me would be more expensive, as i bought them at the previous 'proper' price...so up to you on that one...

I can do a weekend if i have some notice...

Regards

ps... do you have full access to the forum... my thread re: brake refurb is on here... if not pm me.. ;)

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:19 pm
Bobadabob Newbie

Hi Rob - thanks for chiming in... :wink: I appreciate your thoughts and the recommendation...

And Chris - well, yeah, I reckon I've got to take you up on something here..! Thing is, I've kind of had the 'inspection/assessment' bit done already by Ford service engineers... Basically, I need the work doing.. ;-) And I know, I'm really only moaning about the distance to you (apologies!)

I'll find out from fordpartsuk about the 'handed' aspect of those discs they are offering... didn't know about that...

I'll pm you soon (not got full access on the forum yet).

Cheers,
bob

PS:- here's the link to fordpartsuk 'pair of front discs':- http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_ra ... __2236.htm
Brand new genuine ford parts it says...

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:30 pm
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

El dude wrote:
The discs you mention are cheap... but bare in mind you may well get 2 discs from the same side!.. as the clearence company are just flogging them as them pick them up out of stoarge... the Racing puma discs are 'handed' and vented in such a way so that the vents directionally point toward the rear of the car creating a slight sucking action as they spin.... in the car, i doubt you'd feel the difference... but it may affect the way the disc performs/wears over time...?? very hard to say...but bare that in mind!.... a pair of discs from me would be more expensive, as i bought them at the previous 'proper' price...so up to you on that one...

Apparently the vents point towards the rear (from the tops of the discs) in order to dissipate the heat away from the hub rather than towards it. So if fitted incorrectly you might very well not notice a difference when driving....until your wheel bearing collapses :lol:

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Bobadabob wrote:
Thing is, I've kind of had the 'inspection/assessment' bit done already by Ford service engineers... Basically, I need the work doing.. ;-)

maybe 'inspection' wasn't the right choice of word, as you've taken that to be a 2min visual assesment... :lol:

more of a 'dismantle into pieces and rebuild'... :lol:

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm
Bobadabob Newbie

El dude wrote:
Bobadabob wrote:
Thing is, I've kind of had the 'inspection/assessment' bit done already by Ford service engineers... Basically, I need the work doing.. ;-)

maybe 'inspection' wasn't the right choice of word, as you've taken that to be a 2min visual assesment... :lol:

more of a 'dismantle into pieces and rebuild'... :lol:

Ah..! OK, cool... understood..!

Will be in touch Chris - thanks for your time...

Bob

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 am
Riyca # 342 Newbie

Hi bob,

Just to let you know , i was going to get the "Cheap" disks and pads from Pumabuild/speed ( cant remember which one... ) but chris pointed out they are modified focus ones or something.... :?

So i took the plunge and bought original disks and pads from Fordpartsuk and they sent the left and right disks no problem ( well , took a week to arrive as sent snail , sorry royal mail :lol: ), and standard mintex pads from pumaspeed - If Tickford thought they were good enough, who am i to argue !!

I am fitting them this morning , i'll let you know how i get on

Richard

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:16 am

Riyca # 342 wrote:
standard mintex pads from pumaspeed - If Tickford thought they were good enough, who am i to argue !!

Richard

yep they work great...but... i imagine the ones they are selling are the same material pad but without the shim material Alcon used to aplly on the back... + the fact that Mintex seemed to have changed the dimensions of the pad so they don't actually cover the full disc width anymore...which isa real pain...as over time, you get this huge rusty lip developing round the disc...

chris

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 pm
Bobadabob Newbie

Riyca # 342 wrote:
Hi bob,

Just to let you know , i was going to get the "Cheap" disks and pads from Pumabuild/speed ( cant remember which one... ) but chris pointed out they are modified focus ones or something.... :?

So i took the plunge and bought original disks and pads from Fordpartsuk and they sent the left and right disks no problem ( well , took a week to arrive as sent snail , sorry royal mail :lol: ), and standard mintex pads from pumaspeed - If Tickford thought they were good enough, who am i to argue !!

I am fitting them this morning , i'll let you know how i get on

Richard

Thanks for this Richard - looking forward to your report...! :)

Bob

Post Sun May 16, 2010 9:07 am
Bobadabob Newbie

Well - after a few emails, finally hooked up with 'El Dude' yesterday to sort my brakes... What a great, informative day it all was. For anyone else reading here, Chris really does a fantastic service (and a great deal..!); well kitted out to sort any little 'stiff' bolt or stuck disc into submission..!!

The refurb'd calipers he's fitted look a treat - especially against the brand new discs. Will be going back to get the rears done soon :wink:

Thanks too for all your responses folks..

(I love my FRP..!!)

Bob

Post Sun May 16, 2010 9:35 am
big boy al User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

dr alcon strikes again :-)

glad your happy when frp brakes work properly they are awesome :-).
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

Post Thu May 20, 2010 7:40 pm
matt478 Newbie

im also in need of front brakes!

where would you guys reccomend purchasing parts from?

pumaspeed? pumabuild? ford? people on here?

Matt

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:38 pm
Riyca # 342 Newbie

Hi,

I have learnt the hard way , i "Rushed into" buying pads and getting them fitted ( i bought my car with the pads almost metal to metal ... ) now wish i hadn't...
Got apparently "OEM" Mintex pads from pumaspeed , they told me they were the same as fitted by tickford when built , so paid £104.50 :shock:

As El-dude pointed out above , they dont cover the whole disk , and i can already see where a lip will start.... :(
and now squeel like a b :!: :!: :!:

If i was you.....

Disks - Fordpartsuk (£250 for both inc VAT & delivered , i spent HOURS looking , by far cheapest and OEM parts)

Then See El Dude for pads and caliper service and everything else you need to know about brakes!

Wish i had now.... :(

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 pm

matt478 wrote:
im also in need of front brakes!

where would you guys reccomend purchasing parts from?

pumaspeed? pumabuild? ford? people on here?

Matt

Hiya Matt...

I have all the associated parts...

Drop me a PM if i can help... regards

Chris

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Riyca # 342 wrote:
Hi,

I have learnt the hard way , i "Rushed into" buying pads and getting them fitted ( i bought my car with the pads almost metal to metal ... ) now wish i hadn't...
Got apparently "OEM" Mintex pads from pumaspeed , they told me they were the same as fitted by tickford when built , so paid £104.50 :shock:

As El-dude pointed out above , they dont cover the whole disk , and i can already see where a lip will start.... :(

oh dear...

yes, those pads with the crap shims that come in the box, squeel like a pig....they'll drive you crazy..lol :evil:

if you popped round at some point for a caliper service i could probably get them a bit quieter with a few tricks... :twisted:

Regards

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:35 pm
gally Newbie

El Dude, as seen over on PP your refurb are a work of art to be honest.

Do you paint them on the day aswell, back to blue with the lettering and service them or is that extra?

I'm from Scotland, is it a case of drive down and do it while i'm there?

Thanks.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:29 pm
Riyca # 342 Newbie

El dude wrote:
Riyca # 342 wrote:
Hi,

oh dear...

yes, those pads with the crap shims that come in the box, squeel like a pig....they'll drive you crazy..lol :evil:

if you popped round at some point for a caliper service i could probably get them a bit quieter with a few tricks... :twisted:

Regards

I will do , just got to get some more money in the "Car fund" after paying out nearly £500 on the brakes so far.... :roll:

Next

Return to New Forum Members