Board index New Forum Members New owner in need off advice!

New owner in need off advice!

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:30 pm
mrstu82 Newbie

Hi, just bought my first frp a few days ago and am working my way through a list of problems (all expensive lol) what i really need to know is this, and dont be too shocked, but will a standard pair of front calipers fit if i remove the alcons or have the hubs been played about with? Basicly my osf caliper is knacked and the discs are needing changed and i dont have 600 quid or anywhere near to shell out, or was looking at this- http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails. ... ductID=233 any help pleasepleaseplease!

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:24 pm
fergie RPOC Regular

it should do but how is the caliper gubbed?

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:42 pm
mrstu82 Newbie

Someones managed too snap the inside bleed nipple flush and both inside pistons are siezed solid and well corroded on the outside,there's also wrong pads been jammed in and the discs are pitted and blued. All in all some twats owned the car although noticed its got the lsd fitted so that nice lol

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:13 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

Hiya mate...

i offer a complete rebuild service for the alcon calipers and even have special jigs made up to carry out thread repairs to all 4 corners... 8) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=920

If you want trip up (or down) to me i'll happily take a look at them for you, and tell you if they are savagable.... and i have saved a fair few from the bin over the last couple of years...

you may need to buy a few parts tho.. :lol:

Regards

Chris

ps... please do not waste money on that link.. :o :shock:

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:47 pm
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

I've never seen an FRP fitted with standard brakes :o

Go visit Chris, he'll sort you out..although if you need new discs, parts, pistons, pads it's not a cheap ride but once you've got on top of it, keeping them serviced shouldn't be too bad.

Don't do things cheap else you'll end up with a bodge FRP that you won't want to drive and then end up spending more as you'll want to put everything as it should be.

You could consider an alternative calliper such as the hi-spec model.
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:07 pm

mrstu82 wrote:
Someones managed too snap the inside bleed nipple flush and both inside pistons are siezed solid and well corroded on the outside,there's also wrong pads been jammed in

just read this again...

wrong pads.. :shock: that could be interesting.. :?

sounds like it has a set of PB's chrome plated pistons in there which have rotted.. :x :x could be fun getting those out... :evil: :evil:

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm
BrownieST Newbie

hey man,
obvs try and save the alcons if you can cos theyre unreal brakes,

but i know of one thats running focus st170 brakes and as far as i know they went on no worries, i think there 300mm dont quote me

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:21 pm

they are, but only 26mm thick!... which is the minimum thickness of the OEM Alcon disc...(28mm)..

8)

Return to New Forum Members