Board index New Forum Members New owner :)

New owner :)

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 pm
Alex_gregory_uk RPOC Regular

I bought my first FRP yesterday. Always had a soft spot for them and like my rare cars. Owned an Abarth 500 for the last year and sold that so I can save some money to put towards a house.

I bought a great condition 60,000 mile FRP from a garage in Loughborough. Looking forward to giving it a good run out. It'll soon have R9 FRP as a numberplate so will get pics up when they are on.

Couple of quick questions...
1. Does anyone know where to get a Sparco seat handle, ones snapped off!
2. I went to start the car this morning and it stalled after I started it, do I just need to give it a few revs when starting it?
3. I think I have a squeak from the front left suspension, are there any common causes for this?

Looking forward to becoming part of the team!!!

Alex
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:44 pm
fergie RPOC Regular

welcome! the handles have all been sold so would need to track some down from a person with a spare. or call sparco andf replace them all from a differnt model.

dont know about 2 or 3

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. As I drove off I leant in the back and knocked it off. I have a feeling it was probably glued on anyway. It's the inner one so not to important so might just glue it back on for now!
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:49 pm
Madrab Newbie

Welcome to the club, I seen that puma advertised, hope you got a good deal on it!
I too have just purchased my car and also having some teething problems, glad it's just a 2nd car lol!!!

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:13 pm
Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Hi, welcome to the club.

Another FRP with a number plate only one digit out from mine :D

Mine can stall quite easily when cold, just keep the revs up a bit.
Make sure it has had it's cam belt changed when required and take care with the back end in the wet. :wink:
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:56 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

But the cam belt must be changed by someone who knows how. The FRP does not have the same timing as a standard 1.7
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks for the good tips. I think I will have to be careful in the wet as it's got road legal race tires on. I think they'll be great in the dry, but will take it easy in the wet.

The cam belt was changed at 34,000 miles I think it was (Will check the service book). I am guessing it will need another one soon. The garage said it was fine at the moment. Did I read somewhere it was every 5 years?
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:30 pm
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

welcome aboard.

I have your membership, so will unlock the forum for you shortly. I have passed your details onto our membership secretary, so he will send out your membership pack over the next few weeks.

thanks
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm
Williamsclio1 User avatar
RPOC Regular

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome :)

Yes do mind it in the wet back is awfully good fun but very mischievous when you least expect it so don't let it catch you out especially if your running naughty tires :wink:

David
FRP314

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm
speedline RPOC Petrol Head!

For the 1.7 engined FRP it is every 5 years or 80k miles, which ever occurs first.
However given the FRP is usually driven hard then it is wise to reduce the change interval further.
19th September 2008: if you have bought a Janspeed manifold please read here clicky me

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 am
BurfyBoy User avatar
RPOC Petrol Head!

speedline wrote:
For the 1.7 engined FRP it is every 5 years or 80k miles, which ever occurs first.
However given the FRP is usually driven hard then it is wise to reduce the change interval further.

The interval of 5 years or 80k miles would have been based on the most extreme scenario, i.e. a 600hr max load test. I would think it unlikely that you would need to reduce the time between services.

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 pm
vaspetrol User avatar
RPOC Regular

Hiya Alex,

Welcome to the club! :D

I have your membership pack ready to go off this week too, 8)

Vas #385
FRP385
Ford Fair Concours 1st 06
Ford Show Notts 1st 06/10/11/12
Best Parade FRP Castle Combe 07
Wonderland Ford Show 2nd 07
Ford Fair Concours 2nd 10
Duxford Concours 2nd
Ford Show Notts CAR OF THE SHOW 2012
Best FRP Castle Combe 2012

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:27 pm

I am loving the car. Such great fun. I'm just waiting for some good weather to go out for a good drive. Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Really really happy with the car. Took it for a good spin yesterday in the good weather and it handles great. Brakes are fantastic as well. I think it would give my old car (Abarth 500) a whipping on back roads!!! I've had the Aux belt changed due to having a tear mark on it. I checked the service book and the cambelt was changed at 34,000 miles in September 2008. When would people next change the belt? At Sepetember 2010 (10 years on) or do you think it will be good for a few more years?

Alex
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 pm
vaspetrol User avatar
RPOC Regular

Hey,
Good to know the FRP would waste the Abarth, but I would love one of those as runabout, awesome little things 8)

Was yours the 160 Bhp or 135?

Vas and #385
FRP385
Ford Fair Concours 1st 06
Ford Show Notts 1st 06/10/11/12
Best Parade FRP Castle Combe 07
Wonderland Ford Show 2nd 07
Ford Fair Concours 2nd 10
Duxford Concours 2nd
Ford Show Notts CAR OF THE SHOW 2012
Best FRP Castle Combe 2012

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Mine was the 135BHP but I bought a G-tech tunig box which took it up to 163BHP. Was a really good little car. A totally different drive to the FRP. The FRP would be all over the Abarth in the corners and the brakes, although the Abarth would be quicker on the straights!
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Thought I'd finally upload a few pics of mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 pm

I had a really bad clunking noise from the back right corner of my car so managed to get it upto Ford. They have let me know it needs a new wheel bearing, and two new bushes! Nightmare. I have also asked them to replace my rear top mounts as the car was really crashy over bumps. Will hopefully get it back tomorrow. Fingers crossed the back end will feel better.
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am

Gave 358 a clean yesterday with the help of the girlfriend so took a few photos. Here's a few of them for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ex FRP #358 owner

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:34 pm
El dude RPOC Petrol Head!

looking good... :mrgreen:

did replacing the rear top mounts make a nice difference..?

:D

Next

Return to New Forum Members