Board index New Forum Members FRP426 she's back from Scotland!!!!!!!!

FRP426 she's back from Scotland!!!!!!!!

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:32 pm
FRP426 Newbie

This is an edited report sent to the previous owner of my trip to Scotland this Saturday to collect my new baby: FRP426 (she is a bog standard car except steering wheel is non alcantara).
She has just had a day at Detailing World, follow link to:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=139782
where there are LOADS of before/after pics (put an hour aside if you are really interested!)

Took my time getting down south to Guildford (from Glasgow), took 7.5 hrs with 3 stops and one unintended diversion! 380 miles in all. I kept a steady 4000rpm/80mph pretty much the whole way down but will admit to opening her up to 5000rpm a few times in top and thro the gears, nicccccce.
I decided that I was bored with motorway and went cross country from Oxford onwards but missed a roundabout turning in the dark (going too fast and couldn't read the roadsign!) and added 15 miles to the trip which made it even more enjoyable!! TEE Hee!!!
Last few hours were pitch dark so found only way was to drive with mainbeam but adjusted to lowest setting to avoid blinding oncoming cars. This after going round a bend QUITE fast and having to dip and almost crashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where did the road go????????????????

Comments so far (all sortable):
-she cut out once late on in journey at a junction; restarted ok and no further reoccurence
-she's a thirsty little minx:I reckon 26 mpg? what do you get on a m-way run? (doesn't really matter!!)
-very "noisy" exhaust, too raspy; maybe a loose baffle or something
-engine noise; very boomy inside car !! (my ears are still ringing 24 hours later)
-tracking is out; follows camber changes too much which gets kinda interesting on unknown B roads(not worried about torque steer, you'll always get this on powerful fwd I think)
-dipped beam is RUBBBBBBBBBISH!!!!!!!

I'm REALLLLLLLY chuffed with her; condition, looks, colour, engine, ride, steering all at top of expectations and it's amazing how much power and torque from a 1.7 engine with no turbo/supercharger etc
Only neg is tracking issue.
Seats are wonderful; no aches at all but thighs are a little tender where base bolster pinched my large posterior and top of leg area, but that's down to me.
I plan to get a Carcoon/Cair-o-port or AirFlow (prefer rigid frame type anyone got/ know of one FOR SALE?) or similar and clear a space for her in the garage.
I also planned Sunday to clean her back to recent former glory today but it's p.....g down here which prevents me from drying her with a trip out on the road. Shame.
Last edited by FRP426 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogsbody User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

26 MPG at 80mph is about right I would think, I get 200 miles or less to a tank of fuel running about.
I think I averaged 25mpg going to Llanelli a few months ago, 50 mph for some, but other bits I was pulling nearly 7K in 5th :wink:

Watch the back end in the wet!!!!
I really do mean it, they can let go in an instant. Me and few others have added a bit of "ballast" in the boot. (Spare wheel etc)

The tyres can make quite a difference to the cars handling, mine used to follow white lines and road imperfections but I changed the make of tyre and its now sorted. (ditched the Yokohama's) :wink:

The head lights are the Puma's Achilles heel.
Not that I would condone fitting Illegal HID lights :shock: But here's a good comparison of the best bulbs from Halford's and my HID lights on dip.
There is a fitting guide on this forum I posted a while ago.

Loud, Raspy, plenty of pops and bangs....
Sounds like your exhaust is just fine :D Normal FRP.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

FRP426 Newbie

Thanks for speedy response Dogsbody!
Lights are top priority as frankly dangerous in the dark on dip at speed on pressing on B roads!
I have not tried wet road handling yet but cannot be worse than E Type Jaguar!!
I'll check out my tyre make, pressure is 30psi, but I'm sure tracking is out a little.
I'll check out all your tech posts to get heads up.
Cheers,
John

big boy al User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

glad you enjoyed it john it will get even better the more you drive the car and get used to it.

if problems occur with stalling etc just let us know we know the answers to most questions now with the frp's

make sure you give the frp full revs the engine only gets into its best over 6000 rpm and the limit on the frp is set to 7250 so over the 7k limit on the rev counter i take mine to 7 and over most gear changes when im having fun and have not had any problems yet in 3 years touch wood :-)

the dipped beam is crap but can be sorted with conversion kits or i just have brighter bulbs which do me fine.

the frp follows tracks in the road and tramlines quite a bit on the motorway etc due to the wide tyres its something you will get used to but if you go to get the tracking done let us know as its not set to the same as a standard puma. and garages know very little about the frp.
FRP 241 - lsd equipped

Return to New Forum Members