Board index New Forum Members Hello All

Hello All

New to the FRPOC Forum? Then why not introduce yourself here?

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:34 am
gjnrs Newbie

Picked up my first Racing Puma on Wednesday and have had a big smile ever since.
These cars are great fun and great value now.
Handles like its on rails. 150hp is enough to make the car fun while still providing economy.

Mines approaching 100k with full service history and it drives like it did from th showroom.
Interior is like new apart from the steering wheel and the car is totally standard apart form a s/s exhaust.
Can not fault the car apart from 9 years and 100k worth of stone chips, and all for well under £4k. Scan checked the ecu today and its fault free!! The only issue so far has been a sticky passenger door lock, but that has freed up with some wd40.

When you think these cars were nearly £23k new, have been serviced from new with bills for well over 5K and they are available for under £4k. Not bad for a rare car of only 500 made. I think you could break one for spares for £2.5k so all I can loose is a grand or so!!

I like them so much; I'm now on the look out for a cheap mint one!!

The only thing that’s worrying me about these cars is the way the rear quarters have been put on. They seam to have just put them on top of the old quarter panels!! And they have done it with pop rivets. Looks a bodge to me but I guess they are all the same?

Oh by the way, it’s Number 081, and it’s got some rather strange door cards, They are trimmed in half leather with lovely blue stitching. Will try to post some pictures. Anyone else have the same? Not sure if it’s originally from the factory but has been done very professionally. Not sure if Ticford had run out of material or a previous owner has stolen the material to repair the steering wheel!! Whatever it looks great and stops the suede (not sure how to spell Alcantara) on the door panels wearing like the steering wheel.

Thanks for reading

Paul

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:55 am
lisafrp User avatar
I dont drive my FRP due to this FORUM!

Welcome to the club :)

Not sure why your rear arches are pop riveted on :shock: They should be bonded on, and I think there may be some spot welds (can't remember off the top of my head?).

Personally I haven't had a problem with wear on my door cards, the previous owner may have sold the originals on? All FRP's left Tickford with Alcantara door trims.

Would be good to see some pics of your new purchase, and don't forget to join the club for more details on the FRP :)
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:27 am
Dogsbody User avatar

Hi, Welcome to the club.
I'm pretty sure I have seen a clearer picture than this one showing what looks like tack welds holding the rear wings on along the edge.
To supplement the bonding Lisa mentioned.
Graham
HID headlights fitted ... I can now see where I'm going !

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:55 am
gjnrs Newbie

Thanks for your help.

Have attached a link to some photos of the door card and pop rivet on the car holding on the rear quarter.
Any ideas on the door card?
The picture of the pop rivet is taken inside the hatch. Hope mine is the same as every other car!!

http://bda-zetec.741.com/puma%20racing.htm

thanks
Paul

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:48 am
Ed RPOC Enthusiast

Welcome along :)

Nice stitch detail to those door cards. A curious change to the original trim as there isn't a known wear problem in this area, so maybe it was just something of personal preference.

The rear arches were attached using a combination of bonding/welding and riveting, so no need to worry, it's normal. Having said that, looking at the photos of when your Puma was advertised for sale, there was corrosion developing on the rear right arch where the top of the rear arch was welded/blended to the vehicle shell. Might be worth getting that sorted - it is a very unusual place for rust on an FRP, though I have known two cars develop hairline cracks here too.
Ed.
Ex-FRP449

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 am
gjnrs Newbie

Thanks Ed,

Be good to get to the bottom of the door card mystery. I prefer the look of the half leather and the blue stitching.

[img][http://bda-zetec.741.com/puma%20racing.htm]

As for the corrosion, I need to get some advice from a good body shop. It concerned me a little when I was looking into buying the car. I had a look at a few more cars and I could see others had been painted and think there could be problems with many of the cars in this area in the future. I'm presuming the rear arches are placed over the top and sealed.

I was thinking of paying the extra and purchasing a mint car, but could not see away of getting some "Waxoil" into these areas to protect the car. Came to the conclusion the car was cheap enough for me to see if I like the "Puma Racing" and go from there.

Thanks again

Paul

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:51 pm
red User avatar
RPOC Regular

I saw this one advertised.

Sounds like you are enjoying it!!

Welcome to the club :)
Ex Owner of FRP #0201

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm
lisafrp User avatar

I quite like the door cards too :)

I had visions of about 20 pop rivets holding the wing on, to be honest, I can't even remember seeing that rivet on mine in the boot, I've only had it 9 years :lol:

Enjoy 8)
Lisa
RPOC Founder
FRP #144

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 pm
V4FRP RPOC Petrol Head!

Croeso as we say over here in Wales, I hope you enjoy FRP ownership.

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:55 pm
MarkyMark Newbie

Welcome to the club,

Return to New Forum Members